Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BBX got new shoes (Anakee Adventure Review Thread)  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
Re: BBX got new shoes (Anakee Adventure Review Thread)
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 06:26:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I think that the great equalizer is when you use them in the mud. That seems to be the Achilles heel for all off-road tires. And I think that is where the industry rates their tire's off-road capabilities.

A couple of years ago, I sat through a presentation by a tire wholesale guy that we had invited to speak to our club. His comments on tire tread for 100% road use tires were simple: tread patterns make no difference at all -- it is all about the rubber compound(s). He said tread styles sell tires but effectively do nothing for water removal.

:460:  :0461: I would agree with that statement - that "tread styles sell tires but effectively do nothing for water removal" I think that's why I love Michelins so much and they feel different to me. Whatever the compound they are using is really grippy, sticky and - a totally personal taste issue - feels more natural to me; the tyre supports my riding style; with other tyres I have to change the way I behave even with similar thread patterns. Tourances are the biggest example but I had the same thing with other brands as well (on rented bikes)

"Mud" is a challenging idea in itself. There's mud and there's mud. This mud

This mud I can do with Anakee III s with zero problems (and Anakee Adventures would be even more fun)

But this "soapy surface" on a loaded Gypsy Bus TEX begets knobbies. That slide there is not me sliding - the weight of the bike made it slide sideways. Had I not been wearing Mitas E07s there I wouldn't be able to control that slide; the bike would simply slide from underneath me.

I would expect Anakee Wilds to perform even better than the mighty Mitas E07s because their threads are deeper and the spaces are wider

I still get the shivers when I think about that soapy mud. And that grader on the left - what if it was in front of me?

If I am doing the Trans Labrador Highway again I am doing it on Anakee Wilds or Mitas E07 Dakkars. No two ways about it... When I am riding 90% of the time on tarmac and 10% of the time on some nice backroad of a gravel whatever with occasional single trail hiccups that I might throw around: Anakee Adventures would cover all my needs.

"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 12:15:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]

I went through two sets of Anakee III. Both lasted ~ 20 - 23K miles. Riding pattern: ~70% in heavy traffic, 20% hot and long distance, 10% gravel riding. I think I abused them a bit.

What air pressures were you running on the A3s to get that mileage out of them...I have a set here that Im going to mount just before a trip I have coming up.... I would love to make the whole trip on a single set ...

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 02:32:10 AM »
I think Icy meant he got ~20K out of both sets not each.  Unless I am wrong and then Icy is the holy grail of tire life as I am considered pretty easy on my tires and I get about 12K out of a set. 

I would modify the statement that tread does nothing for water removal and say tread design does nothing for water removal.  Anyone who has driven with slicks can tell you how little of water it takes to break them loose. 

I also agree that mud and deep sand are the real equalizers with tires.  You would be surprised where you can go with 100% street tires if you don't have mud or deep sand.

And that my friends is a total of 6 cents that you all get.   :001:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
Indeed, 20k miles sounds a lot for Anakees. I barely achieve such numbers with PR4s (and remember I'm the legal speed highway biker).
Re-indeed, treads do make a difference. And this is exactly why the law here forbids running slicks on road.

Anyway, interesting thoughts and reports Icy!
It just lack my second criteria: noise. Are the Anakees better or worse than the ugly Metzelers in this department?

Offline Dick63

• Explorer Master
  • "The Mountains are Calling ... And I Must Go."
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TEx
  • City / Town: Centerville, OH
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »

...  A couple of years ago, I sat through a presentation by a tire wholesale guy that we had invited to speak to our club. His comments on tire tread for 100% road use tires were simple: tread patterns make no difference at all -- it is all about the rubber compound(s). He said tread styles sell tires but effectively do nothing for water removal.

Then I would say that he is speaking above both his pay grade and his knowledge level.   While compound IS important, tread pattern does evacuate water from the surface, and some patterns do work better than others.  End it, period. Compound is important for slick, low friction surfaces.  When the surface is standing water itself, tread pattern dominates.  Compound does NOTHING because it isn't touching the surface until the "cool" tread pattern has done its job.

If this were not true, why would tire companies spend big $$$$ on tire engineers, and ALL the "toys" they require - CAD systems, laboratories, test facilities, to name a few - when all the have to do, according to this genius - is buy a trained ape in marketing a Spirograph to dream up "cool" patterns? 

Oh, and even if Icy did mean 20-23K MILES out of two sets of tires, then he is still a tire endurance god as far as I am concerned.  That is about 50% better than I have done on the TEx. 
Dick63

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Stationary Traveler
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
It just lack my second criteria: noise. Are the Anakees better or worse than the ugly Metzelers in this department?

I wear earplugs and listen to music... I don't hear any tire-noise, ever. :030:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Stationary Traveler
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dick63 [+]
Oh, and even if Icy did mean 20-23K MILES out of two sets of tires, then he is still a tire endurance god as far as I am concerned.  That is about 50% better than I have done on the TEx.

That has always been my case.

Mitas E07s. They have close to 20K miles on them in this picture. I had them installed ~2,000 miles after I got the bike - I lived in RI back then and did a lot of bizarre riding.

I turned the bike in with these tyres on and I was at 21K miles I believe.

I'm looking for that one picture where my friend said (after seeing it) I think you should change the tyres and I was way passed 20K on that set by then. Man I remember the picture so well but can't find it... Anyway the only tyres I change before getting anywhere near their useful lifespans are the Metzellers. The first ever set though is the difference - I had about 15K miles on them when I had to replace the rear with an Anakee III because I went through a construction site (Floyd Bennet Airfield Hangars) and collected a few screws and nails with the tyre. That's how I met the Anakee III actually.

And I run manufacture recommendation on the tyres. 36 in the front. 40 in the rear. And I don't deflate when doing offroad or for any other reason for that matter. I have TPMS and I trust it for what it's worth.

I just realized that I may be running the tyres beyond their useful life. Because I don't measure thread depth or anything - I look and I don't see any thread in the middle and decide to change them... I ran through the invoices

First TEX 20K service was in June 2014
This picture is taken on Dec 2013 (front is Metzeller rear is Anakee III)

I found an email thread where I am asking James from Twisted Throttle to order me a front Anakee III because it's time to replace the front - on NOVEMBER 2014! So I ran this front for almost another year, way past the 20K mark (that's the stock front)

So, it could be me. I don't like doing things by the book  :164:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 11:07:49 AM »
His comments on tire tread for 100% road use tires were simple: tread patterns make no difference at all -- it is all about the rubber compound(s).

This does sound like an ill informed sweeping generalization, but I guess/hope he just wasn't very good at expressing himself.

Maybe what he was trying to say was the inside of the indentations of a tread pattern are not in contact with the road so do not contribute to grip - that's done by the smooth "untreaded" bits in between, so he said "tread patterns make no difference at all -- it is all about the rubber compound(s)".

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 12:34:23 PM »
Could be.
Still, I remember Michelin advertising the PR3 (or was it the 2?) as driving water away through their special dotted treads.
As a matter of fact, independant testing proved them to be the best wet braking performers in the category at that time.
Since then, they reverted to a more traditional tread style. I doubt that we could ever have a honest statement from Michelin about all that...

What I'm asking to tires is grip (or feeling thereof, as I'm a very defensive rider), longevity and silence (BTW Icy, you really should keep an ear on your surroundings ;-).

Online Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 12:51:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Could be.
Still, I remember Michelin advertising the PR3 (or was it the 2?) as driving water away through their special dotted treads.
As a matter of fact, independant testing proved them to be the best wet braking performers in the category at that time.

Rain groves are normally referred to as "sipes" ..they are pretty much nothing more than tiny tread grooves and they do work as you noted. the main purpose is to get the water out from under the tire as quickly and efficiently as possible so the rubber can grip
Also most tires are meant to work with each other..the front will clear most of the water and the rear will clear the rest..which is another  good reason not to mix tires when replacing them .

of course all of this is based on whether or not you believe the marketing folks of  your favorite tire company

Recent Topics

nonskid