Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 300 Mile Review  (Read 917 times)

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
Re: 300 Mile Review
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Duff-on-2 [+]
I have 350 miles on my new '18 XRT and I agree with most everything you said.  It's awesome! 
This is my first Adventure style bike and almost everything about this Tiger has exceeded my expectations about what an Adventure bike can do.

Here's what I would add to your list:
On the Bad side is the noise from the front tire - it's loud and annoying but I'm hoping it'll get better with time.
Also, in the Bad category is the bite-point on the clutch lever.  The friction point is all the way at the top and it's been hard for me to get used to - (other new owners have mentioned it as well). 
That's it for the bad.

On the good side is everything you mentioned plus how easy and intuitive the TFT screens & features are to use.  I'm not into the tech stuff so I was concerned that I'd struggle learning how to navigate thru all the modes and info - but it didn't take anytime at all.  It's very well thought out.
Also, the cruise control is in the perfect location and it works great.

Overall, my main first impression is the terrific power & handling.  I didn't expect that this big bike would have so much easy power and be so well balanced  - So much fun!  That power is there at anytime and in any gear - it just wants to go. I'm someone who doesn't worry about breaking-in a motorcycle 'by-the-book'.  I just make sure I don't go anywhere near the Rev-Limiter and I avoid cruising at the same RPM for any extended about of time but other than that I just ride like I normally would.  This Tiger has power to spare and you can still feel confident using it.   :001:
. Try adjusting the clutch lever with the revolving wheel on the mount, it helped me. Front tire is noisy, switched to Michelin when I needed new tires and found it a bit better.

Offline Slaine

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Lippstadt
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 11:36:05 AM »
My tip for anyone having trouble with the clutch, get a new pair of Levers, which are offered on the Inbternet but be careful of the Chinese ones. I fitted mine on Saturday and dont know why I didnt do it sooner, the whole feel of the clutch has changed.

Offline Duff-on-2

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2018 TIGER 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Grafton, OHIO
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Slaine [+]
My tip for anyone having trouble with the clutch, get a new pair of Levers, which are offered on the Inbternet but be careful of the Chinese ones. I fitted mine on Saturday and dont know why I didnt do it sooner, the whole feel of the clutch has changed.

...What levers did you get?   

My feel for the Tiger clutch is getting much better but I still have to think about it when taking off in 1st (especially on an incline with my wife onboard).  Maybe it's more pronounced to me because my T120's clutch is so perfect. 

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 02:21:05 PM »
Yes, it's odd that the only bike in the current Triumph range that uses an upmarket hydraulic clutch is the one people seem to have an issue with, every other model is cable clutched. I find the last-minute grab unusual like many others but seemed to of got used to it. I have the standard lever adjuster set for the shortest reach which makes it feel a little more controllable but can still be a bit awkward, especially if using hill hold.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 10:54:46 PM »
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: OJAI
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 11:03:58 PM »
Agreed XCaTel!

*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Yes, it's odd that the only bike in the current Triumph range that uses an upmarket hydraulic clutch is the one people seem to have an issue with, every other model is cable clutched. I find the last-minute grab unusual like many others but seemed to of got used to it. I have the standard lever adjuster set for the shortest reach which makes it feel a little more controllable but can still be a bit awkward, especially if using hill hold.

I am going to check on these! Thank you for the info pcarnut

*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 11:09:16 PM »
 :152:  You're welcome.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: OJAI
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 11:13:29 PM »
They have BLACK  :062:

pcarnut, did you buy the long or short? I'm assuming you bought the long but have to ask.

I had something very similar on my Trophy and they looked really nice and worked very well! I bought the short version for my Trophy but I'm thinking long are better here?

Offline Slaine

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Lippstadt
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 05:57:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Duff-on-2 [+]
...What levers did you get?   

My feel for the Tiger clutch is getting much better but I still have to think about it when taking off in 1st (especially on an incline with my wife onboard).  Maybe it's more pronounced to me because my T120's clutch is so perfect.

I live in Germany and had a Xmas deal on a set from Motea, they are made by V-Trec, mine are Black with Red adjusters in the long version. I paid just 75€uros for the set.

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »
Question for Pcarnut

Like the look of those levers and was thinking of going for a set of the long folding ones.

My question is this. The OEM levers have 4 positions whereas these after market ones have 7 which sounds great but do they actually allow the levers to sit nearer to the handlebars? 

My comcern is that they'll offer exactly the same amount of travel just in more increments! Cheers

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Recent Topics