Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 300 Mile Review  (Read 1178 times)

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XCa
  • City / Town: OJAI
300 Mile Review
« on: March 19, 2019, 05:54:10 PM »
Hi :158:! I have 300 miles on the new Tiger and wanted to give my assessment of the bike (remember, I came from the Trophy and the Concours before that)

The Bad;

1) Heated Seat - This isn't really "bad" but I have to pick on something! I have read the complaints on the seat and how it doesn't work very well. I tried it for a short time yesterday and thought the same thing, WEAK! Then I tried it today and this time let it run on HIGH for about 30 minutes and I was cooking buns by then! That thing works, and works well, just really slow getting up to temp! :231:

2) Break-In period - I don't like this! I want to get on it I can feel it...the bike wants to go but I have to somewhat baby it right now :161:

3) Time - I don't have the time I really need to ride the bike 1000's of miles each day :745:

4) Fuel Range - this one is kind of a bummer but I'll learn to adjust. I really wish they could have added more fuel capacity. :006:

5) Bugs - I love it but am not used to it, lots of bugs! My jacket, boots, pants, helmet...ALL covered in bugs :015:

6) GPS - This is kind of in-between right now.  I would say that it's a bad thing but I have heard the plan and it sounds like they didn't add a mounting solution because it will be integrated to TFT sometime this year...only time will tell :046:

7) Protection - The Tiger does well but I am coming off the Trophy so it's not as good as that. But, it's not necessarily a bad thing, just different and something I am going to get accustomed to. I know I will appreciate it during the heat of summer here in So. Cal!

The Good (pretty much everything);

1) Weight - The bike is so manageable, feels MUCH lighter than my previous bikes! :306:

2) Power - I can tell it has lots of it, it wants to go! It feels very quick! Passing cars is easy and that's during break-in :007:

3) Shift Assist - amazingly awesome, nuf said! :062:

4) Hill Hold - Love this feature! :047:

5) Windscreen - so good compared to other ADV bikes. The wind comes off the stock screen so smooth! :018:

6) Handling - Ok, this one has me all giddy :109: I am amazed at how well this bike handles, how easy it is to throw around and corner on! It's like riding half of the Trophy! I love how well it does on the twisties :037:

There are a lot of things about this bike that I love! I am having more fun with this bike than I can remember having on any bike I've owned! I am looking forward to getting it broken in, setting it up for me, and putting tons of miles on it! :730:

The Tiger is everything I was hoping it would be, and more!

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: 300 Mile Review
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 06:11:48 PM »
Ya, wait until you can go full throttle...All I can say is you better hold on, it’s a beast ;-)

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:12:38 PM »
I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Offline Duff-on-2

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2018 TIGER 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Grafton, OHIO
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 06:54:08 PM »
I have 350 miles on my new '18 XRT and I agree with most everything you said.  It's awesome! 
This is my first Adventure style bike and almost everything about this Tiger has exceeded my expectations about what an Adventure bike can do.

Here's what I would add to your list:
On the Bad side is the noise from the front tire - it's loud and annoying but I'm hoping it'll get better with time.
Also, in the Bad category is the bite-point on the clutch lever.  The friction point is all the way at the top and it's been hard for me to get used to - (other new owners have mentioned it as well). 
That's it for the bad.

On the good side is everything you mentioned plus how easy and intuitive the TFT screens & features are to use.  I'm not into the tech stuff so I was concerned that I'd struggle learning how to navigate thru all the modes and info - but it didn't take anytime at all.  It's very well thought out.
Also, the cruise control is in the perfect location and it works great.

Overall, my main first impression is the terrific power & handling.  I didn't expect that this big bike would have so much easy power and be so well balanced  - So much fun!  That power is there at anytime and in any gear - it just wants to go. I'm someone who doesn't worry about breaking-in a motorcycle 'by-the-book'.  I just make sure I don't go anywhere near the Rev-Limiter and I avoid cruising at the same RPM for any extended about of time but other than that I just ride like I normally would.  This Tiger has power to spare and you can still feel confident using it.   :001:

Offline mike2411

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 07:28:49 PM »
I don't have noise coming from my front tire, at least that I'm aware of :187:

I agree on the clutch lever but I was used to it after day 1 so a non-issue for me.  I am very comfortable with it now.

Cruise control is ridiculously easy!

I do enjoy the TFT and look forward to the additional info that will be installed.

I like your method of breaking in a bike! I am getting more and more aggressive as I creep closer to the break-in service.

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XRx Cobalt blue
  • City / Town: Holmefirth
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 08:38:06 PM »
Hi,

I have an 18 plate XRX.
 Since I got my Tiger brand new out of the box in March last year I have done over 10K miles ….once you get the mid service done ( I cannot remember what service came before the 10K miles service ) it is like owning a new bike ! Its as if the shackles are off ! The tiger is deliciously quick ,responsive ,agile, a real head turner, a conversation starter - even when stopped at traffic lights.
  And the sound of the engine....as my next door neighbour said to me -'nice new motorbike and it sounds like a proper motorbike (I had a Kwak previously …..)

:031:
3 of the 4 voices keep telling me to go to sleep...the 4th voice wants to know if penguins have knees....

Offline Benchmark

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 09:09:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Duff-on-2 [+]
On the Bad side is the noise from the front tire - it's loud and annoying but I'm hoping it'll get better with time.

I removed the Tourance tyres off my brand new XRT after only 600miles due to the noise and went with Battlax T31 as I only require full on road tyres and more than happy with the change   :001:

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
Awesome man, awesome. Just ride it! That bike is to be ridden and abused, not to be babied. I didn't hold back during the breakin period either. Stay within x1000 of the gear. Second gear don't go past 2,000; 3rd gear don't go past 3,000; 4th gear don't go past 4,000... That's how I break in all my bikes, the past 3 TEXs were no exemption... 

Throw it on the rocks, wind, rain, sand, sun - pick it up; it will start right up. Never complains... runs like a beast. Even when it sounds like a box full of nails, never complains.

That's a bike that fires up at 9 degrees Fahrenheit!

Ride it!  :082:  :821:  :305:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 09:33:30 PM »
I now have Michelin road 5's on my Tiger - the noise has gone and IMHO I also have a smoother ride
 :305:
3 of the 4 voices keep telling me to go to sleep...the 4th voice wants to know if penguins have knees....

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
@ Icy - I was told exactly the same 'rules' when I picked my Tiger up from the dealers !
It was the salesman who mentioned that his Dad always used these 'rules' and never had any problems with his bikes !
And like you I use my bike every day through all weathers ! !
 :031:

Recent Topics