Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5 Trail  (Read 927 times)

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Michelin Road 5 Trail
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 02:48:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
I'm probably (*definitely) displaying my ignorance, but why does increasing the preload lessen the road noise from tyres?

Just a guess here....
Changing how much weight is transferred to the front wheel will increase/decrease front end pressure on the tire (not air pressure but downforce pressure). This will make the tires wear differently front and rear. If they wear different then it stands to reason they would sound different as well.
Just thinking out loud

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 04:55:54 PM »
I can't see how it would make that much difference, especially when you have a passenger and luggage with the weight centered close to the rear wheel.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 07:19:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I can't see how it would make that much difference, especially when you have a passenger and luggage with the weight centered close to the rear wheel.
yes agree, when two up loaded with a heavy rear bias (due to weight) my original front tyre was at its noisiest.

Offline plaaty

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Devon
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »
Hi all
don't panic!
I didn't adjust the preload because of the tyre noise, the front was very rigid so I backed off the preload, the rear was sitting down a lot 2 up, so I increased the preload.
I'm just messing about with the settings at the moment just to see what difference it makes.
The handling was ok, but I am just chugging around the country lanes at the moment..... all low speed riding.
the bike rides great, really good to ride slowly! loads of torque for pulling out of corners gently, trying to keep the pillion happy!
may be my favourite bike of all time  :046:

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 06:45:18 PM »
Funny how my ‘15 Explorer was way soft up front with preload cranked all the way down. This is why I changed springs front and rear.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 03:24:41 PM »
There is a misconception that backing off spring preload will soften suspension action. I have found quite the opposite. Backing off preload allows the shock or fork to sag more and use less of its stroke especially over washboard surfaces where the suspension will sag and not recover its stroke sufficiently from bump to bump.

If the front is too hard on your Explorer (as it was on mine) then a reworking of the damping is required and perhaps a replacement spring. On my 2012 there was far too much compression damping and also an excess of rebound damping in the forks. A Wilbers rework cured that. The real culprit as such was the damping in the forks.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 04:40:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
There is a misconception that backing off spring preload will soften suspension action. I have found quite the opposite. Backing off preload allows the shock or fork to sag more and use less of its stroke especially over washboard surfaces where the suspension will sag and not recover its stroke sufficiently from bump to bump.

If the front is too hard on your Explorer (as it was on mine) then a reworking of the damping is required and perhaps a replacement spring. On my 2012 there was far too much compression damping and also an excess of rebound damping in the forks. A Wilbers rework cured that. The real culprit as such was the damping in the forks.
:0461:  I also had my front fork reworked.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »
I have an AK-20 kit in the front of my bike......some of the best money you can spend is spent on suspension upgrades

https://traxxion.com/product/ak-20-axxion-motorcycle-fork-cartridge-kit/

Offline plaaty

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Devon
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »
I am thinking about getting the forks sorted, I wasn't sure which is theist way to go, fit a cartridge kit or have the original forks looked at? or hide the pies!

Still need to sort the tyres first! I will go with the Road 5 trails  :152:

The bike is staying at the dealers till they can replicate and fix the 3rd to neutral problem  :157:

Recent Topics

nonskid