Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How to wite sat nav  (Read 419 times)

Offline Lee Marsden

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph tiger explor
  • City / Town: BARNOLDSWICK
How to wite sat nav
« on: March 22, 2019, 10:38:11 PM »
Hi
I've got a 14 explorer and just bought a Tom tom sat nav. Could anyone help me with how to hard wire sat to bike loom?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: How to wite sat nav
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 10:45:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lee Marsden [+]
Hi
I've got a 14 explorer and just bought a Tom tom sat nav. Could anyone help me with how to hard wire sat to bike loom?
Normally, a GPS comes with a fuse-protected hotline and a ground line. The simplest way to hook this up is to wire it directly to the battery (fused line goes on the + terminal and the ground line goes to the [-] terminal. That way, the GPS does not lose power when you turn off the motorcycle.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 11:23:04 PM »
My Tomtom Rider 5 is wired direct to the battery. I just fitted an in-line fuse in the live wire and that’s it. 👍 It”s live with the ignition on or off but that”s never been a problem over 5 years as I never leave it on with the bike unattended. Never had a flat battery or any other kind of problems. Mine is also a 2014 model. Lots of opinions on his no doubt but this way works, simple as that. 👍
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:26:29 PM by NH »
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 03:04:45 AM »
My Garmin is wired directly to the battery (it came with a power wire with a fuse and a little power brick).  I take it off when I get off the bike, I never leave it on the bike.

Offline Lee Marsden

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph tiger explor
  • City / Town: BARNOLDSWICK
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 06:54:24 AM »
Thanks guys, looks like most of you wire straight to the battery. I was just concerned that it might drain the battery? But seems OK after reading your replies.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 10:28:44 AM »
Im the oddball I guess..I have mine hooked to the B+ wire for the front power port so its only on with the key.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 05:06:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Im the oddball I guess..I have mine hooked to the B+ wire for the front power port so its only on with the key.
I find it convenient to be able to park up and fiddle with the GPS without having the key on/engine running.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I find it convenient to be able to park up and fiddle with the GPS without having the key on/engine running.

does yours not have a battery? I dont  need to have the key on when I park, my GPS will run about 4 hours on battery if need be. once you shut the key off, you get a screen that asks if you want to keep the unit on..if you dont press the yes button,it shuts down .
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:14:20 PM by Crosshairs »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 10:29:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
does yours not have a battery? I dont  need to have the key on when I park, my GPS will run about 4 hours on battery if need be. once you shut the key off, you get a screen that asks if you want to keep the unit on..if you dont press the yes button,it shuts down .
It used to... it is pretty much shot now. I sometimes have to remove the battery and reinsert it to get my Zumo to start up.

Recent Topics