Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Need tips for putting the seal back when refitting camshaft cover  (Read 754 times)

Offline coolhand

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 (2012)
  • City / Town: Laksevåg
I have finished the valve clearance/adjust/cussing-n-swearing  :232:/camshaft timing-sequence.

Now I am struggling with the camshaft cover. I have manouvered it into place. The rubber gasket/seal is underneath it. The problem is: How do I fit the seal to the cover? there is a groove in the cover which the seal fits into, but it is not a snug fit - so everytime I wiggle the seal into place, it wiggles out another place. And the working place aaround the cover is very cramped, even for a guy with normal-size hands.

Of course, I will probably manage this sometime during the next hundred years, but still....

Anyone have any lifehacks or other hacks to make this process smoother? If not, I fear I will bang my head in the wall in frustration  :148:

For now, I will take a break from this..... hope to get some useful tips soon  :002:

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Re: Need tips for putting the seal back when refitting camshaft cover
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »
Try putting a thin layer of liquid gasket on the seal, fitting the gasket and letting it dry for a bit, before you try fitting the cover.

Offline coolhand

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 06:08:11 PM »
Hmmm, yeah, that is a good idea.

That means removing the cover once again, but I think that'll do it.

Will go  get som liquid gasket tomorrow. Will report back here when I have nailed it   :001:

Offline coolhand

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 05:43:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
Try putting a thin layer of liquid gasket on the seal, fitting the gasket and letting it dry for a bit, before you try fitting the cover.

Worked like a charm!

I used a hight-temperature silicone gasket (liquid gasket for temps from -50 - 300 C, that is intended for this kind of usage) bought from the local motor shop. Put on the silicon, waited 5 minutes, and then it was no problem fitting the cover!

Thanx!

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 10:01:13 PM »
Yep - good tip - I do the same - bit of grease can work too if your real careful. Well done - its pain removing everything again if there is a little weep so worth taking your time to sort it out first time !!

Offline ToeCutter

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCx
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:33:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
Yep - good tip - I do the same - bit of grease can work too if your real careful. Well done - its pain removing everything again if there is a little weep so worth taking your time to sort it out first time !!

Spot on,  the TEX has to be one of the most cramped and awkward bikes I've done maintenance on. 

I just can't see how a main dealer can do a major service in a day ,  I'm a fitter by trade working on all sorts, big and small.

I reckon to go through the front end, back end and engine is best part of two days work.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 05:29:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by ToeCutter [+]
I reckon to go through the front end, back end and engine is best part of two days work.
Or a winter, if it was me.  :034:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline coolhand

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 06:06:15 PM »
Just finished the bike today. I am a somewhat experienced hobby mechanic. I've done valve adjustment on a ZZR kwak, changed 2nd gear on a ZX9, and changed the cluctch on a Honda XX. I usually manage wuite fine.

The Tiger was no different, but hell it was cramped and akward to work sometimes. I asked my locla mehcanic about the valve adjustment: He told me they usually did not do them on 16000 km, but instead waited until 32000 km, just to save time. I would estimate a professional could do the job on two days minimum. They agreed.

Anyway, job done, I am happy! And the engine makes happy sounds! :046:

Offline ToeCutter

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCx
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by coolhand [+]
Just finished the bike today. I am a somewhat experienced hobby mechanic. I've done valve adjustment on a ZZR kwak, changed 2nd gear on a ZX9, and changed the cluctch on a Honda XX. I usually manage wuite fine.

The Tiger was no different, but hell it was cramped and akward to work sometimes. I asked my locla mehcanic about the valve adjustment: He told me they usually did not do them on 16000 km, but instead waited until 32000 km, just to save time. I would estimate a professional could do the job on two days minimum. They agreed.

Anyway, job done, I am happy! And the engine makes happy sounds! :046:

Good to hear,  I must say after having done mine it's a definite improvement,  that may in part be that even thought it's covered 16000km, all the exhaust clearances were tighter than spec by 0.025. also one intake was tight as well.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 07:20:24 PM »
The official TEX service schedule was amended in 2013 to put the first valve clearance check at 32k kms rather than 16k. The one-time valve timing is also done then. I found that made a difference on my bike -- runs smoother.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics