Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Need tips for putting the seal back when refitting camshaft cover  (Read 1338 times)

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
Re: Need tips for putting the seal back when refitting camshaft cover
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 10:53:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by ToeCutter [+]
Spot on,  the TEX has to be one of the most cramped and awkward bikes I've done maintenance on. 

I just can't see how a main dealer can do a major service in a day ,  I'm a fitter by trade working on all sorts, big and small.

I reckon to go through the front end, back end and engine is best part of two days work.
I reckon your pretty close to the mark there to do the job right !! Been working on bikes for 30 years - prefer to take my time and be happy the job is done right. Valve clearance is hard to check as there is little room - thats the beauty of doing the job yourself - there is little cost to my labour but a shop will obviously have to recover their labour and overhead cost and if its anything less than £45 a hour then I'd be surprised even for a non franchise .

Around 9 or my 12 valves were tight when I checked at 20k miles - the gaskets (I replaced the cam cover) , spark plugs (might as well because I'm that far down), shims - obviously , air filter  (again because I'm halfway there) all add to the cost - must be £100 in parts alone.
Its not an impossible job - just one that takes a bit of time  :002:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
Around 9 or my 12 valves were tight when I checked at 20k miles - the gaskets (I replaced the cam cover) , spark plugs (might as well because I'm that far down), shims - obviously , air filter  (again because I'm halfway there) all add to the cost - must be £100 in parts alone.
Next time, check out the V series engine service kit. Almost everything you need to do a major service on the TEX in one box at a better price. Part # T3990016
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline ToeCutter

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCx
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 05:09:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Next time, check out the V series engine service kit. Almost everything you need to do a major service on the TEX in one box at a better price. Part # T3990016

Just did thanks,   :028:

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 05:08:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by coolhand [+]
Worked like a charm!

I used a hight-temperature silicone gasket (liquid gasket for temps from -50 - 300 C, that is intended for this kind of usage) bought from the local motor shop. Put on the silicon, waited 5 minutes, and then it was no problem fitting the cover!

Thanx!
Glad it worked for you :031: I'm lucky (or not) that my bike is off the road all winter, so I always leave the lengthy/fiddly bits like valve checks for the off season

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Trenton
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 12:55:17 AM »
This is a timely topic for me as I'm getting ready to do a valve lash check. Good tip re gluing the gasket to the cover BTW.

The official TEX service schedule was amended in 2013 to put the first valve clearance check at 32k kms rather than 16k. The one-time valve timing is also done then. I found that made a difference on my bike -- runs smoother.

The "one time valve timing" comment got my attention...  Is it not put back to the timing found upon disassembly?

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 01:59:27 PM »
Never mind, I cracked open the service manual - as I should have done in the first place. It appears the sprocket bolt holes are slotted to account for manufacturing variance and/or initial chain stretch.

Also helpful is the updated initial valve lash check which I was not aware of.

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:32 PM »
Further to my last comment (and hopefully not hi-jacking the post), I did a search and found a link regarding the extended valve lash intervals but it did not work. Does anyone have a good link to the document in question? I'd be very interested in reading that PDF. I called around to several dealers and got quotes of 10-12k miles. No one seemed to know of the extended interval - or wouldn't acknowledge it for reasons.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 03:04:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by avfan [+]
Further to my last comment (and hopefully not hi-jacking the post), I did a search and found a link regarding the extended valve lash intervals but it did not work. Does anyone have a good link to the document in question? I'd be very interested in reading that PDF. I called around to several dealers and got quotes of 10-12k miles. No one seemed to know of the extended interval - or wouldn't acknowledge it for reasons.
I honestly don't know what you mean by "extended valve lash intervals". I do my own servicing on my gen1 TEX. Would probably be a good idea to start a new topic on this.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 04:16:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
The official TEX service schedule was amended in 2013 to put the first valve clearance check at 32k kms rather than 16k. The one-time valve timing is also done then. I found that made a difference on my bike -- runs smoother.

Maybe I misinterpreted your comment here? I've seen other references to the initial valve check (originally suggested for 10k miles) was pushed back to 20k miles or 32k kms. There was a link in one of the discussions from 2016 that no longer worked but seemed to indicate it led to some Triumph document explaining the change. Not that I don't trust 100% what I read on forums, (which emoticon shows that was a bit cheeky!?) I just thought it would be nice to see the official source documentation. 

Here's the quote from the 2016 post: "The authoritative version is this document: http://www.3xmotorcycles.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/triumph-10k.pdf. This shows valves at 20k, 40k. Issue date is Sept 2013."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:22:21 PM by avfan »

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 05:02:30 PM »
Doc attached.  See item #5 under Engine heading.

Recent Topics

nonskid