Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Need tips for putting the seal back when refitting camshaft cover  (Read 1322 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Need tips for putting the seal back when refitting camshaft cover
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 05:33:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by avfan [+]
Further to my last comment (and hopefully not hi-jacking the post), I did a search and found a link regarding the extended valve lash intervals but it did not work. Does anyone have a good link to the document in question? I'd be very interested in reading that PDF. I called around to several dealers and got quotes of 10-12k miles. No one seemed to know of the extended interval - or wouldn't acknowledge it for reasons.
So, to recap, minor service at 10k mile intervals and major service (valve adjustment) at 20k mile intervals, with the one-time valve timing set at 20k miles.

Now, given that you seem to have a low mileage 2012, has your bike had the cylinder head replacement done? If not, you should try to get that done. See here for more info:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17989.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Trenton
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 06:54:50 PM »
Thank you, appreciate it.

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2019, 07:32:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]

Now, given that you seem to have a low mileage 2012, has your bike had the cylinder head replacement done? If not, you should try to get that done. See here for more info:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17989.0.html

I never answered your question..... Yes, it is a relatively low miles 2012 - 11,000 currently. The VIN is in the possibly affected range. I've reached out to the previous owner re head replacement but he doesn't seem inclined to answer. I'm guessing it has not been done.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:48:26 PM by avfan »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 09:44:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by avfan [+]
I never answered your question..... Yes, it is a relatively low miles 2012 - 11,000 currently. The VIN is in the possibly affected range. I've reached out to the previous owner re head replacement but he doesn't seem inclined to answer. I'm guessing it has not been done.
Triumph North America will have a record of it if it has been done. You could inquire. Also, there were two recalls on the 2012-13 models. One was to replace the side stand pivot bolt (which can break) and the other was to change/upgrade the ECU. There is a VIN lookup tool on Triumph's website someplace that will tell you if there are any outstanding recalls (but not the head replacement).

"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 02:13:14 PM »
Thanks. The PO mentioned having the side stand bolt replaced but nothing about the ECU upgrade. I'll look into that.

Recent Topics