Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gasoline (Petrol) with Ethanol  (Read 734 times)

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
Re: Gasoline (Petrol) with Ethanol
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 11:14:30 PM »
In the US octane is calculated by the (RON/MON)/2  method, which is why it seems like the US machines take lower octane when it is a calculation difference.  I run 87 octane as stated in my manual without issues.   

Ethanol, I have been running it since the mid 80s in everything and have never had an issue.  I find that gas in general doesn't last as long as it used to, ethanol or not.   My last experience with non-ethanol was it went bad faster than the ethanol.   Ran it in several things with plastic tanks and never had an issue.  I put it into equipment that was made in the 50s without any issues, the 69 Roadrunner and 70 Nova SS both drink it without issue.  I store my mowers, leaf blowers and chainsaws wet and don't have an issue and I don't put stable in them. 

People who used to pour Heet in their tanks in the winter were adding alcohol to their vehicles.  Alcohol will pull the water out of the fuel system and the air (so store the fuel well) along with removing the carbon in the engine. 

I figure between my GEN1 and GEN3 tigers I have run over 1000 gallons of Ethanol through them without problems.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 11:58:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
-I don't use ethanol-added fuel.  So far, I haven't been anywhere where that was the only option.
Lucky you. 94 Chevron is the ONLY fuel that I can buy that has zero ethanol in it. And I don't find it outside of my region at all.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2019, 12:59:41 AM »

-I don't use ethanol-added fuel.  So far, I haven't been anywhere where that was the only option.

and on the other side of that coin , I cant get anything but ethanol fuel in my state. its mostly 10-15%, but there is also E85 (85% ethanol)  but you need a flex fuel vehicle to use anything more than 15% . Lots of racers use E85 and run tunes for it...Alcohol makes huge power and runs very clean.. but thats a whole other subject.... ....
as a regular motor fuel, its not the scary stuff some people make it out to be...there are literally millions of vehicles burning it everyday without a single problem. The only problem with ethanol fuel comes from improper storage..so in other words, user error. There are some older vehicle that may have trouble with it, due to the corrosive nature of alcohol  but anything built in the 90s or later is absolutely fine with it. 

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2019, 01:00:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Lucky you. 94 Chevron is the ONLY fuel that I can buy that has zero ethanol in it. And I don't find it outside of my region at all.
That may change for me, Cap'n.  Ethanol is a sometime by-product of sugar cane growing here in Oz.
I'm a bit of a greenie, but I disagree with growing crops to produce ethanol.  As we work out how to manage without fossil-fuels, ethanol may get more common.  But I think the method of choice for manufacture will be biological, ie yeast/bacteria on waste.  That should be 'green'.

Electric is in our future for land vehicles, but I can't see hydrocarbons being replaced real soon in boats and planes.  So maybe ethanol fuel will be with us for a long time.  (I also like ethanol for other uses.)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 01:12:38 AM »
Electric is in our future for land vehicles, but I can't see hydrocarbons being replaced real soon in boats and planes.  So maybe ethanol fuel will be with us for a long time.  (I also like ethanol for other uses.)
I agree with you on the food vs fuel issues. In the US corn farmers are subsidized to produce corn for fuel.

A local float plane company here in Vancouver harbor is working on a prototype all-electric float plane for commuter service between Victoria and Vancouver. They hope to transition their entire fleet over to electric if all goes well.

https://vancouversun.com/business/energy/harbour-air-to-add-zero-emission-electric-plane-aims-to-convert-whole-fleet
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
Ethanol is a sometime by-product of sugar cane growing here in Oz.
I'm a bit of a greenie, but I disagree with growing crops to produce ethanol.  As we work out how to manage without fossil-fuels, ethanol may get more common.  But I think the method of choice for manufacture will be biological, ie yeast/bacteria on waste.  That should be 'green'.

Ethanol was to replace the MTBE that was in fuel.  (lots of talk on how much MTBE gets into the water table and to what extent causes health issues, huge complex subject on its own.)  It provides octane and oxygen to facilitate a better burn.   It does provide beneficial benefits to fuel such as cleaning carbon and water out of the system.

Downside is it pulls water from the air if not stored properly and if using a container with water in it the alcohol will attach to it and possibly even cause phase separation.   Think large old fuel tanks and were never fully drained and the last couple of inches in the bottom are now water.   Ethanol is also incomparable with some materials but it has been around for over 30 years so it is not anything new.  It also matters how you make the ethanol, the conversion rate for corn is terrible.  It makes more sense in other countries where other materials can be used and the conversion rate is a lot higher because they are not tied to corn use. 

Like most things it is a complex issue and there are a lot of layers.  What works for one country is not necessarily good for another.

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »
For those in the US, an app is available from a website called Pure Gas. It’s a crowd sourced app which displays all the locations with non-ethanol fuel. It’ll usually tell you the grade of the fuel also. In my experience, it’s near impossible to find 87 octane non-ethanol fuel. Typically it’s at least 89. I make it a practice to run non-ethanol gas in everything except my vehicles with 4 tires. It’s too much money for me to do that regularly. Interesting side note, when I do have to fuel up with corn gas, usually on long trips with the Tiger, my estimated fuel range goes UP with it. I still hate the junk though.

If you happen to have a Wawa gas station near you, they seem to always have one pump which is pure gas. It’s quite readily available most anywhere in Florida these days.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Recent Topics