Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant Flow  (Read 156 times)

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
Coolant Flow
« on: April 07, 2019, 01:09:11 AM »
Ok, odd question, I just flushed out the cooling system (radiator, engine block, overflow tank). Refilled the coolant at the radiator, opened the vent, topped it off, then ran the bike for about 30 seconds, then topped off again.  I know the coolant is still low since I measured it as I poured it in. But it is filled as much as it can take at the moment.

I then let the bike run about 5 minutes or so to get up to operating temperature. Once it cools, I'll check it again.

The question is, does the coolant in the overflow tank get recirculated back into the engine? Can I add coolant there at a later time or can I only add coolant at the fill cap on the radiator?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Coolant Flow
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 01:20:00 AM »
It is possible to get air locks in the cooling system. There is a vent on the right side rad hose. The advice I read was to fill at the rad cap until full, then open the vent and continue to fill until full, then close both and rock the bike to get the air to the cap and fill again. Run the engine for 30 seconds and then fill again.

The engine will draw coolant from the reservoir as it cools down after shut-off. Don't fill the reservoir past the low fluid line, as it can overflow on hot days when you are stuck in traffic.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
Re: Coolant Flow
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 01:23:23 AM »
Thanks Captain!  I did open the vent. But I haven’t rocked the bike much.  When it cools a bit more I’ll do that and see what happens. 

Recent Topics