Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Which MRA VSA spoiler for 2018 XRt?  (Read 758 times)

Offline salisburytiger

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200XRt
  • City / Town: Salisbury
Which MRA VSA spoiler for 2018 XRt?
« on: April 07, 2019, 07:13:04 PM »
Hi, I've been trying to find which MRA VSA spoiler to buy for my Tiger.
There are three : A, B & C and I can't seem to get an clear answer from MRA.
Can anyone help me out please?
Thanks

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Which MRA VSA spoiler for 2018 XRt?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 09:24:50 AM »
Considering the unusual shape of the XRt's screen, I'd be interested to know the answer also!

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
Given the narrow shape of the XRt and XCa touring screen I imagine the only spoiler that won't look odd is the sport version, the touring ones are all too wide. It seems to come with the XCC clamps for the top ridge of the screen so trying it out will require no screen drilling and no loss if it doesn't work, apart from financial of course. Stick a pic up if you take the plunge.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:39:39 AM by XCaTel »

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »
My concern wouldn't be the look (or I'd be riding an Italian motorcycle ;-).
The XRt Touring Screen is somewhat "split/folded" in the middle and I don't know how such a system would adapt without stressing said screen too much...

Offline salisburytiger

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 04:01:38 PM »
Thanks XCaTel - that's very helpful.
I'll get the tape measure out and have a think...

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 09:35:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by salisburytiger [+]
Hi, I've been trying to find which MRA VSA spoiler to buy for my Tiger.
There are three : A, B & C and I can't seem to get an clear answer from MRA.
Can anyone help me out please?
Thanks

I've just been looking at this as well as I have the touring screen on my 2016 XRX, and couldn't decide between the A, B or C screen.
Contacted HPS yesterday for advice, especially given the curvature of the screen, and they advise that all the spoilers can cope with the curvature of the screen as the point at which the clamps (or drilling pieces) attach at the bottom of the hinges can rotate.

They also advise that the thing that is fixed is the width between the hinges. I sent them a diagram of the outline of the top of my screen and they said that looking at the dimensions any of the VSA spoilers would fit as the largest requirement is 220mm for a type B.

Give the screen is 280mm wide across the topfor me the dilemma is whether to do for the Type A or Type C. I've discounted the Type B as I think it would be too wide. Dimensions of each are:

Type A: Width of spoiler 300mm, Height 105mm
Type B: Width of spoiler 330mm, Height 105mm
Type C: Width of spoiler 310mm, Height 90mm

I'm kind of coming down on the side of a Type A, as it will only be 10mm wider each side of the top of the screen. I'm torn though as I prefer the Height of the Type C (shame they don't do one that is 300mm wide and 90mm high, I'd be happy then)

What one did you go for salisburytiger in the end - and if so how are you finding it?

Offline salisburytiger

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 10:54:13 AM »
I emailed MRA and was told that their screen does not fit the gen 3 Tiger.
In the end I bought the Puig screen with visor for c£120 from M&P motorcycles.
It looks great and does a great job.
There is a design issue with the angle adjustment on the visor which resulted in me needing a new bracket because it is so tight that the metal plates inside break when moving the angle.
Having said that if you remove the ball bearings and just set the angle it seems fine.
I'm very happy with it.
Hope that helps!

Online Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »
Seems to me that the MRA 'wings' cost between £60 and £80 plus you've got to cleanly and accurately drill your OEM screen!

I went down the route of the Puig 8916H which comes complete with Wing and is pre-drilled plus its not a lot more costly at £105. The other advantage is that you can then set your bike back to standard if needed.

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline salisburytiger

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
That's the one I bought, very happy customer

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 11:26:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
Seems to me that the MRA 'wings' cost between £60 and £80 plus you've got to cleanly and accurately drill your OEM screen!

I went down the route of the Puig 8916H which comes complete with Wing and is pre-drilled plus its not a lot more costly at £105. The other advantage is that you can then set your bike back to standard if needed.

Simmo

According to HPS you have the option of clamps to the top of your screen or bolting it to same - although I agree with you, cleanly and accurately drilling your screen could well be an issue - so I'd be looking to clamp. Here's the auction I'm looking at.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MRA-Vario-Touring-VSA-Type-A-Universal-Adjustable-Spoiler-with-Clamps-CLEAR/323804248897?epid=4018195929&hash=item4b643cbb41:g:f4oAAOSw5FJa1znj&frcectupt=true

But as you say and salisburytiger says also, the Puig does sound like a good option.

I think what I might do is try the MSA Vario-Touring VSA Type A spoiler first to see if it will fit my Gen-2 screen or not; HPS have a 30 day return policy and I think once I offer it up, it will be pretty clear whether it will fit or foul the top of the screen. If it does foul then teh Puig route seems a very good option.

Thanks for your feedback, very much appreciated

Recent Topics