Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fog lamp upgrade  (Read 623 times)

Offline gren_t

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 1200 TEX
  • City / Town: Bridgend
Fog lamp upgrade
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:12:14 PM »
Hi chaps,
Following my unsuccessful attempt to replace the corroded fog lamps & mounting backet on my MY2012 Tex with a cheaper unit by searching ebay and its bigger brother Alibaba I was lying by the pool on holiday in Zanziba and checked marketplace on facebook and bingo..
Someone was selling a new boxed set of led lights for £120 and the best thing was they were 5 miles from my home address, a quick message to the seller and they were licked.

I Used the new lights and Ali shrouds however the brackets were different as they were from a 2017 Kit, however I cleaned off the old cracked powder coat and got the brackets plastic coated in gloss black for free as they were running that colour anyway when I called in. result :152:.

If anyone want the brackets for a 2017 Tex or the old lights and Ali shrouds hit me up.

Regards all.

Brackets

Old and New lamps

Fitted and working  :046:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:22:22 PM by gren_t »

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Fog lamp upgrade
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »
Oh you naughty boy! You seem to be using the plastic headlight protection, whereas it is for off-road use only!
(c;

Online Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 01:17:03 PM »
Nik,
A quick question on your  remark.
It states “off road only” But why is that?
Is it because off heat problematiek in the headlight?

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 02:15:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Oh you naughty boy! You seem to be using the plastic headlight protection, whereas it is for off-road use only!
(c;

Yeah yeah yeah so do many more of us Nik, we are all in the naughty boy club, rebels that we are LOL  :164:

@Bruce Wayne - no problem with running with them on all the time, no heat issues or anything like that. I think Triumph state off-road only as arguably it is to protect the light when riding through woods and forest.

What Triumph state that otherwise (unless it's a legal thingy) I have no idea. But lots of us run with them fitted, with no issues.

Online bits

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 02:17:54 PM »
Are the shrouds same size as the ones from the 2017 kit?
How much for the brackets and or shrouds depending on answer above?

Lol just seen age of thread, so if you stil have them?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:19:27 PM by bits »

Online bits

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 02:23:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
Yeah yeah yeah so do many more of us Nik, we are all in the naughty boy club, rebels that we are LOL  :164:

@Bruce Wayne - no problem with running with them on all the time, no heat issues or anything like that. I think Triumph state off-road only as arguably it is to protect the light when riding through woods and forest.

What Triumph state that otherwise (unless it's a legal thingy) I have no idea. But lots of us run with them fitted, with no issues.

It is due to them not being homologated and may affect beam quality and or pattern in an untested manner hence not road legal in uk.  Suspect being relatively thin plastic they don't manufacture to a specific enough quality to pass homologation standards due to part variance.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 04:31:21 PM »
bits is correct: it's an homologation matter.
With the lexan covers, I'd get the objection (obviously there is a risk of light scattering in an untested way).
As for the grilled metal ones however, apart from a possible light output decrease, I fail to see the point. Maybe strictly lawyers nonsense...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 04:33:53 PM by NiK »

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 06:38:16 PM »
Makes sense, didn't think of that.

Recent Topics

nonskid