Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spokes  (Read 752 times)

Simmo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
Spokes
« on: April 10, 2019, 05:52:09 PM »
Riding around town yesterday I noticed a bit of a steering wobble when slowing for a stop sign, so I pulled into a parking lot, and noticed one of the spokes had come out. On further examination I found another half dozen were loose  :005: Tightened them up a little on the spot (which moved the wobble from 5mph to 35mph) Rode to the bike shop without further ado-looks like I need a new wheel which insurance should take care of. I guess that might explain the massive tank slapper which spat me off at the end of last season. I'v only been tootling around town so far and not done many miles since the accident-really glad I wasn't out on a big run anywhere :087:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Spokes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:45:24 PM »
I guess you have another item to add to your pre-trip inspection.  :005:  There was one gen1 TEX owner who found that his first generation spoked wheels were not true to begin with. He eventually got them replaced under warranty.

As much as I like the look of spokes, I'm glad to have cast wheels.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:00:20 PM »
Ouch and good job with the quick thinking and safe recovery  :821: :028:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »
I just hope you didn't invest in an expensive steering damper yet!

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »
The old trick of running the back of a teaspoon over your spokes while rotating the wheel is a quick check. Any spoke that makes a distinctly dull sound is likely to be in need of attention.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 04:49:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
The old trick of running the back of a teaspoon over your spokes while rotating the wheel is a quick check. Any spoke that makes a distinctly dull sound is likely to be in need of attention.
I thought the same. A wooden pencil would also work.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »
I did check them periodically (with a screwdriver) but obviously not often enough

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 05:16:22 AM »
I used the spoke wrench (sounding device) when I had spoke wheels.  I don't miss that bit of maintenance.  (XRT means no spokes for me.)

I would also spin the wheel and use a piece of chalk to find out on the tire where things were out of true and fix.

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 06:04:00 AM »
Anyone have the torque setting for the spokes. I have a spoke torque wrench that I use on my dirt bikes, when I am lacing wheels. should work for the Tiger. :028:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I would also spin the wheel and use a piece of chalk to find out on the tire where things were out of true and fix.
As per Flip Daddy's experience detailed on this forum with his gen1 spoke wheels, the TEX wheels cannot be trued by tuning the spokes. The rims are too rigid.

Recent Topics