Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Collecting my new 1200  (Read 932 times)

Offline Brianbrd

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Ashford
Collecting my new 1200
« on: April 12, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »
So I supposed to pick up my new 1200Xrt last Saturday at 9.30am. I got a call, could I make it 2pm as they just needed a bit more time to prepare it - OK I said and rang the insurance company to get the change over time swapped from 9,30 to 2pm....... 35 minutes later I was still on the phone - my previous bike insurance policy had to be reinstated which meant going through the whole process of insurance details and legal blurb, garaging etc! This would never have happened before computers! Then I got charged £30 extra for the privilege.

To then add insult to injury I get a call from the dealers to say Triumphs web site was down last Saturday and they wouldn't be able to register the bike till Monday!

To some this might have been a disaster, or anger buster but I'm pretty laid back. I took my trade in over to the dealers before the 2pm deadline, picked up a loan bike till Monday and collected my own baby big bird on the Monday afternoon. The dealer repaid the £30 insurance charge and ended up giving me a Triumph rucksack as a gift - all in all not too bad a result! Monday night ended with fish and chips in Rye (a far better weather day than Saturday and a very happy first ride  - here's to many more!

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
Re: Collecting my new 1200
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 08:44:49 PM »
 :008:  :082: Here's to many more, indeed  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 11:34:22 PM »
Wow, you have to report an insurance change-over to the minute! Is this a UK thing? Here in the States we can call our insurance company and tell them we bought a different bike and go in the next week to get the paper work done. Our last vehicle we bought we drove for nearly 2 weeks before I signed the paperwork. I basically just gave them the VIN and we were good to go.
Jon

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 02:55:22 AM »
You people have some very strange rules "over there". Just like the last poster, I buy the bike, give them the info and it shows up on my next (admittedly higher) bill. Enjoy the ride. :031:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 03:47:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
Wow, you have to report an insurance change-over to the minute! Is this a UK thing? Here in the States we can call our insurance company and tell them we bought a different bike and go in the next week to get the paper work done. Our last vehicle we bought we drove for nearly 2 weeks before I signed the paperwork. I basically just gave them the VIN and we were good to go.
In our neck of the woods, the automotive insurance agent comes to the dealership and the whole thing is done on the spot when you take possession of your new vehicle. This is standard service in BC, which still has state-owned automotive insurance. Mind you, we pay through the nose for it with high rates and no choice for basic coverage.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Brianbrd

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Ashford
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
Wow amazing what differences we all accept as the norm! So what happens in the US if you crash your bike before you have informed your insurer?  Is it not a problem because it is the driver that is being insured rather than the bike?

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 11:34:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brianbrd [+]
Wow amazing what differences we all accept as the norm! So what happens in the US if you crash your bike before you have informed your insurer?  Is it not a problem because it is the driver that is being insured rather than the bike?

In the US (in Michigan, at least), if you are financing your machine, the bank won't hand over the check until you have proof of insurance.

So unless you paid cash, you'll be insured before you leave the lot.

If you paid cash, you could theoretically ride off the lot without insurance, but you need the proof of insurance before you register the machine and are legal to ride on the road.

Insurance is easy to get here.  I've never met anyone involved in issuing my policies.  I call the insurer, give them the VIN, my info and the coverage I want, pay electronically, and I have proof of insurance in 15 minutes or so.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 01:03:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Brianbrd [+]

I've always informed my agent before I ride or drive, the unit. Sorry if I misled you somehow on that. I make sure they have the VIN before I pay for it. If I were to get in an accident before the policy is signed & paid for I would be covered at full coverage. If I want less than full coverage, that would be decided on at the signing of that policy. That is my understanding of how it works.
Both the unit & the person are insured. I'm not sure if all insurance companies in the US operate the same way. I assume not. In my case, I have all my vehicles and my home insured with the same insurance company that I started with 51 years ago. This is the 3rd agent that has owned that same agency since 1968.
Jon

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 01:09:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
In our neck of the woods, the automotive insurance agent comes to the dealership and the whole thing is done on the spot when you take possession of your new vehicle. This is standard service in BC, which still has state-owned automotive insurance. Mind you, we pay through the nose for it with high rates and no choice for basic coverage.
I should have mentioned that registration, change of ownership, sales tax and license plates are all done by the same agent as the insurance issuer in BC.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 04:05:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I should have mentioned that registration, change of ownership, sales tax and license plates are all done by the same agent as the insurance issuer in BC.

I’m not going to speak my mind here due to the no politics allowed policy.
The last purchase of mine was financed through Triumph at 0%apr. They wanted proof of insurance of the purchased bike “before” I took possession. That’s the first time I’ve ever experienced that. With Allstate all I’ve ever needed to do was inform within 30 days. Before that 30 days, I’m automatically covered, no matter what I buy. This includes cars or bikes.
I know things are a changin’. No more trust and I’ve been with Allstate since ‘75!

Recent Topics