Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TomTom 550 premier pack  (Read 2117 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: TomTom 550 premier pack
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 07:19:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by peejay1977 [+]
MyDrive only accepts a GPX file but you can use the website I posted to convert either a Google Maps URL to a GPX file or a KML export from Google Maps to GPX.
Yes, I used the website you listed, very easy to use but it is Tom Tom MyDrive failing to import the output as it requires a "GPX with track", not just a GPX file.

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 11:48:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Yes, I used the website you listed, very easy to use but it is Tom Tom MyDrive failing to import the output as it requires a "GPX with track", not just a GPX file.

Hmmm thats odd, how did you plan the initial route itself? I use Google My Maps and then export the entire map as a KML, is that what you did?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by peejay1977 [+]
Hmmm thats odd, how did you plan the initial route itself? I use Google My Maps and then export the entire map as a KML, is that what you did?
OK, got that going. When I exported I exported the whole map thinking it was taking the route with it rather than just the route, this time I exported the route only. That's good as a freebie, it is quite clunky though with a lot of extra steps and I'm not mad on trying to create the initial route on the google mapping system. Still, you get what you pay for and you can't complain if it's free! Nice one.

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2019, 02:18:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
OK, got that going. When I exported I exported the whole map thinking it was taking the route with it rather than just the route, this time I exported the route only. That's good as a freebie, it is quite clunky though with a lot of extra steps and I'm not mad on trying to create the initial route on the google mapping system. Still, you get what you pay for and you can't complain if it's free! Nice one.

Agreed! I find the Google interface easy to use, and once you get familiar with adding layers and exporting it it doesn't seem so clunky, at least not in my head  :087:

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 XRx Cobalt blue
  • City / Town: Holmefirth
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 08:42:01 PM »
well I download MyRoute  onto my phone and plotted a route from Santander to my over night stop in Toledo.....but I have noticed that when I sent it to my TomTom there is no labels on the roads ….which is a tad worrying! is this because its a free version ?

:305:

SBT
3 of the 4 voices keep telling me to go to sleep...the 4th voice wants to know if penguins have knees....

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 08:16:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by stealingbacktime [+]
well I download MyRoute  onto my phone and plotted a route from Santander to my over night stop in Toledo.....but I have noticed that when I sent it to my TomTom there is no labels on the roads ….which is a tad worrying! is this because its a free version ?

SBT
I'm not sure i wouldn't of thought so as I would suspect that is a function of the Sat Nav. Once the route is plotted it is just a track so I wouldn't have thought the MyRouteApp has anything to do with that side of things, the Sat Nav has no idea that that particular track came from an external source when in use.

It is possible that because of its very nature a "track" the Sat Nav is not showing labels on roads or more than likely this is a feature setting on the Sat Nav itself. I can't say I have actually noticed on mine. I'll have a play tomorrow and see if I get the same result. To doublecheck it is not MyRouteApp you might try a simple route in MyDrive directly (rather than MyRouteApp) and see if it does the same. Just to be absolutely sure  does it show road names if you plan a simple point to point route directly on the Sat Nav itself?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by stealingbacktime [+]

SBT
Also, don't forget that if you are using the free MyRouteApp it is using a regular map and not the Tom Tom map. So when you send/import this route to you MyDrive the track may be interpreted differently by Tom Tom and there can be significant deviations. To minimise these use as many waypoints as you can when creating the route.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 07:41:54 PM »
OK, I planned a custom route (track) in MyRouteApp, sent it to my Tom Tom MyDrive which then sent it to my Rider 550. This picture is the result, I get road names and numbers. The display is exactly the same as if I had just chosen an address or POI so I'm not sure what is happening on yours stealingbacktime?

Recent Topics

nonskid