Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Puncture kit  (Read 1979 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Puncture kit
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger T.O. [+]
No, I just run it from the front socket without any problems  :001:
This morning used it to top off both tyres before the ride  :028:
Excellent!

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 09:46:21 PM »
 I think the front socket is good for 15 amps.

I run my heated jacket, gloves and socks off of the front outlet.  Plenty of power for a small compressor.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 10:35:23 PM »
I've had more punctures on my 1200 than any other bike I care to remember - but thinks its probably just coincidence and the number of miles I do. That said, I usually carry a can of tyre weld and all the recent punctures would never be fixed with this -best one being  a full 3" split in rear tyre going down the M6 in UK  - the fitter retrieved a full "Stanley " knife blade from within the rim !!!  :003:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 09:33:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
I think the front socket is good for 15 amps.

I run my heated jacket, gloves and socks off of the front outlet.  Plenty of power for a small compressor.
Sorry yes, that front socket is protected by a 10A fuse and not the ECM 5A limit which is on the rear socket in addition to its shared fuse.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:36:13 AM by XCaTel »

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 11:32:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
I actually carry two types, having used both neither one works in all cases but between the two, I am confident that I can plug any hole and ride on.  I also carry a small compressor.
I successfully used the Stop'n'Go small kit. It lives with my Airman (front socket only!) compressor inside the topbox.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 11:39:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
The did try a lot of saliva first...  :004:
Indeed the first mushroom I tried was difficult to insert properly. I simply tried with another one from the same bag and it went through without problem.
Stop'n'Go mushrooms come prelubricated (I believe it's some kind of talc). I sprayed a bit of Teflon lube inside their carrying pouch, just in case.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
I've had more punctures on my 1200 than any other bike I care to remember - but thinks its probably just coincidence and the number of miles I do.
I've only ever had motorcycle tire punctures on ADV style bikes wearing ADV style tires. The blocky tire tread pattern tends to flip screws and guide them into the spaces in between the tread blocks. Road style tire treads seem less inclined to pick up crap off the road.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 09:42:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I've only ever had motorcycle tire punctures on ADV style bikes wearing ADV style tires. The blocky tire tread pattern tends to flip screws and guide them into the spaces in between the tread blocks. Road style tire treads seem less inclined to pick up crap off the road.
Hi Captain - I just use normal road tyres - Avon Storms - or Michelin Pilot Road 5 at present. Its not the bikes fault - and the TPMS is great in that respect but my units need replacing now so I get loads of false warnings. Am  reluctant to replace due to cost but it is a good feature if its working right  :002:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »
Same here. At least three punctunres in recent years. Always with Michelin PR3 or PR4. Always on the rear.
Last time it was slightly off center, so I had to replace the tire (which was almost worn anyway). So not everytime inside the threads.

As for TPMS it's indeed a great help, but the cost and maintainability is unjustifiable (IMHO), when compared to such low cost (yet effective and robust) solutions: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Motorcycle-Waterproof-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-System-2-Sensors-LCD/273746544956?epid=9030806808&hash=item3fbc90c93c:g:Bp4AAOSweWtcfzg2

This incredibly cheap piece of kit have been working reliably on my bikes for more than one year now. I charge the receiver once every two or three months and didn't have to replace the emitters batteries yet.

Offline NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 07:22:13 PM »
My mates and I carry these. Very small and compact.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynaplug-Ultralite-Tubeless-Tire-Repair/dp/B00B7FC4DI/ref=sr_1_39?adgrpid=52828579586&hvadid=259054377334&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9045363&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=18304469942142051436&hvtargid=kwd-302045267741&keywords=motorcycle+tyre+repair+kit&qid=1556129734&s=gateway

One of them had a puncure in Portugal and he used this for the first time. It worked fine, didn't lose any pressure, and was still fine weeks lated when we were back in the UK.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Recent Topics

nonskid