Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Puncture kit  (Read 1429 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Puncture kit
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 11:54:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Anyone have something that can repair this?

Wow...  :005:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Tiger Lad

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Exp 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Chippenham
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 08:56:44 AM »
Have you recently upset anyone ?

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »
This is the compressor I carry when on the road, the Viair 84P.  It is a little larger than some but is very dependable.  I changed out the cigar lighter plug for clamps to go on the battery terminals.

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/84p 

Ride safe,

ZShyster

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »
I carry rope plugs, string plugs  and an air compressor...

these,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010LYKR70/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these
http://www.dynaplug.com/ultralite_xtreme.html

and this to be exact
https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-mini-compressor.html

its all in one bag under the seat

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 11:17:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger Lad [+]
Have you recently upset anyone ?

Not mine.
I’m in the wheel repair business. Another Franchisee within our organization posted this as a joke, asking advise on a repair.
Looks like a railroad spike.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 11:57:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by BruceC [+]
Unfortunately I had the need to tackle a screw that had found its way into my rear tyre a couple of days ago. I initially re-inflated the tyre in an attempt to limp the 60 miles home but it lost its pressure within 15 miles. Fortunately I have carried the sticky string repair kit with me for years but never had the need to use. After a quick roadside repair I continued my journey home without losing any pressure at all. Worked a treat.

I carry similar repair kits.

After I had a puncture last year that a mushroom plug wouldn't close up (I couldn't get the plug in far enough to seat), I had to by the string type to plug the hole to get me home.  So now both types are in my panniers.

I carry a $20 Slime air compressor as wellI got mine cheaper than the price on the Slime website at Wal-Mart..  I took out the bottle of tire sealant, but my two repair kits in the bag with the compressor:

https://shop.slime.com/collections/flat-tire-repair-kits/products/smart-spair-flat-tire-repair-kit?variant=47564951496

I removed the stock cigarette lighter plug and put on a Powerlet connector instead.

After 4 flats on the road last year, I don't leave home without this kit.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 04:04:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by JG_XRT [+]
After I had a puncture last year that a mushroom plug wouldn't close up (I couldn't get the plug in far enough to seat), I had to by the string type to plug the hole to get me home.  So now both types are in my panniers.

I carry a $20 Slime air compressor as wellI got mine cheaper than the price on the Slime website at Wal-Mart..  I took out the bottle of tire sealant, but my two repair kits in the bag with the compressor:

https://shop.slime.com/collections/flat-tire-repair-kits/products/smart-spair-flat-tire-repair-kit?variant=47564951496
I carry exactly the same thing. I bought the thickest string kit that I could find. Tried it out on a Mazda tire and the repair lasted until I sold the car.

A friend carries the mushroom kit but found it very difficult to insert. After struggling in the hot sun for half an hour, they hit on the solution to slather the mushroom plug with suntan goop, which finally allowed it to pop into place.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 04:08:58 PM »
Will remember that Captain - or any lube handy  :164:
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 04:17:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
Will remember that Captain - or any lube handy  :164:
The did try a lot of saliva first...  :004:

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 06:18:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Have you a separately fused supply direct off the battery to run that, I think the front power socket is electronically fused at 5A which may be just on the edge for that pump?

No, I just run it from the front socket without any problems  :001:
This morning used it to top off both tyres before the ride  :028:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Recent Topics