Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New member  (Read 459 times)

Offline Goona-Trumpy

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Stelvio; XJ900S
  • City / Town: Mooloolaba
« on: April 20, 2019, 06:28:01 PM »
Hi to Tiger-Explorer owners & riders.
Just signed up to hear from Gen 3 Tiger 1200 owners or anyone who has researched issues/failues. Looking to replace MG Stelvio. Would love to hear from owners re pros plus any cons of owning the latest model 1200, especially the XRT. Cheers from down under.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:50:53 PM »
 :400: to the family brother.  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Tiger Lad

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Exp 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Chippenham
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:50:02 AM »
Hi  :400: to the forum from the uk.  :031:

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
Hi.  I went to a Tiger 1200 from a 2015 Explorer.  Before that, I had a couple of XJ900 beasts!
Found the Explorer much better planted and 'safer' as well as more exciting to ride than the XJ.  Having made the mistake of a test ride, just had to have one.  (It was less comfortable on the bum than the XJ.)
At great cost, I moved on to the Tiger 1200 XRt.  Love it.
More comfortable than the Explorer for both me and the pillion.
(Tried to go round Oz on it, but quit at Broome when it just got too hot.)

I've had no real niggles with the T1200.  Small ones only, with the keyless fob, ECU reporting silly fuel usage, and occasional funnies with the TSAS.
Certainly not enough to stop me recommending it to anyone thinking of getting one.
If you are confident on a tall bike with its weight up a bit high, its a good one.

Unfortunately Peter Stevens are it for Triumphs in Oz.  They don't do good trade-ins, so expect to sell a current bike privately.
I bought mine cheaper by travelling to Melbourne to pick up an ex-demo which had done 100km (from Peter Stevens there).
Check out the net for bargains like that.

Ken in Adelaide.

Offline Goona-Trumpy

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Stelvio; XJ900S
  • City / Town: Mooloolaba
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 12:10:14 AM »
Hi Ken from Adelaide. Thanks for heads up Re your T1200 experience. I’ve read about the top heavy weight of the T1200 - got to be mindful at low speeds. Good to hear no major issues for you. They have a deal atm with free factory panniers with purchase which will help my decision.
Steve from Sunshine Coast.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 08:38:42 PM »
In my opinion (and it is just that) consider the XRx Low if you cannot totally flat foot with both feet while sitting on the bike with the seat in the high position. The engine must be running for the TSAS to set the rear preload to its normal height so don't just sit on it in the showroom. I am 6ft and get both feet down reasonably well but not fully. I lowered the bike 20mm and I am much more comfortable with it. Dropping the seat to its lowest position on the regular bike has the same effect except the seat to footpeg distance is shortened making it a little harder on the hips. The XRx low maintains the seat to peg ration with the seat in the high position. With the seat in the lowest position on the low version it is around 50mm lower than the stock bike.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 09:27:35 PM »
I'm 5'10". I run my T1200 XRt seat in the low position, and can put both feet flat on the ground.  (It helps to have proper riding boots on with thicker soles.)

On my TEx, I ran with front up, rear down, to keep from being shoved into the tank.  On the T1200 I don't feel I need to do that.

A test ride on the T1200 should settle whether the OP needs a low or not.

Recent Topics