Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: oops-a-daisy  (Read 2086 times)

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Trenton
Re: oops-a-daisy
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 03:26:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Deep6blue [+]
If you missed a connector or hose the error code will show up without riding it.  Let’s start with those basics before riding it.
Yes, I agree with your methodology and all connections have been quadruple checked since my initial gaffe of missing the hose on the MAP sensor. Incidentally, I did check for reoccurrences after a brief run-up in the garage (there were none) but thought (incorrectly?)a more thorough test would be a road test.

*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Have you tried the 12 minute calibration retune procedure? It's intended for recalibrating the fueling after the sort of issues you've mentioned. Lots of posts on here about it, but essentially it's something like this...
I was not aware of this procedure and it does sound promising. I'll investigate further and thanks.

*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
  Well that makes it easier - Thanks for the link.

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 03:31:16 PM »
Having read the linked documents and several discussions on the subject, it's not clear what happens after the 12 minute interval beyond turning it off. Can the bike be immediately restarted with all the ECU changes in place or does it  require a cold start the following day?

This will be one of the warmer days we've had here recently but will only achieve high 60's (F). Even then, peak temp doesn't usually happen until late afternoon. I'm wondering how long it will take to hit the fan threshold in these relatively cool temps. I hope I don't have to wait until August....  :003:

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 03:42:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by avfan [+]
Having read the linked documents and several discussions on the subject, it's not clear what happens after the 12 minute interval beyond turning it off. Can the bike be immediately restarted with all the ECU changes in place or does it  require a cold start the following day?
Nothing much. Just turn it off, wait a minute for the ECU to shut down then you should be good to go.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 04:01:18 PM »
Thanks, appreciate the clarification.

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
Might be a long shot but  it sounds like the bike might be in a "limp home mode" - was anything else done before the fault arrived  ?? Might seem daft but its possible to put the front wheel in wrong way round - this means the engine management light goes on as it cannot detect the ABS sensor and its in virtually limp home mode - virtually no power. Do nt ask me how I know !!! Stupid mistake !! It might be a wild goose chase and I hope I'm not wasting your time but just a thought !  :021:

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »
After tripping a "check engine" light I thought it might be in limp home mode but subsequent remediation and clearing the codes did nothing. No other work besides that outlined in my first post was performed.

I performed the "12 minute calibration" and no joy. I'm wondering if a damaged spark plug or coil would necessarily trip a code and check engine light? I did remove one coil and plug and found the gap within spec. I reassembled convinced the other two were as well and therefore didn't disturb them. Other than fuel & vacuum lines and sensor wires related to tank/airbox removal, that's the only other thing to be disturbed. I'm fresh out of ideas at this point and fear a trip to the dreadful dealer is imminent.

Unless there are "soft codes" that don't trigger the check engine light I'm guessing there are no new codes since riding it but I'll have my brother check again using the Tiger Tool just to be thorough.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:24:10 PM by avfan »

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 10:26:02 PM »
Show of hands - Who believes in miracles!?  I didn't post this yesterday because I thought I might be imagining things....

Two days ago I tried the 12 minute calibration and no improvement. I rode it around the neighborhood and quickly found it was still unrideable. Ever the optimist (not really) I tried it again yesterday. This time something happened - it sounded almost normal. I donned my gear and went for a ride beyond the neighborhood this time. I assumed I'd be back in 15 minutes after discovering the gremlins were still at work. Rather, after about 1/2 hour it seemed to be running quite well. I ran 1st and 2nd to redline and remembered why I liked this bike. After an hour of semi spirited riding I got back home in disbelief and relieved. Could this nightmare be over!?

Now before I get too enthusiastic, there is a caveat. The bugaboo that lived at about 3k when I got the bike is still there and perhaps exaggerated a bit. Although some responded they had no issues using a K&N I can't help but wonder since it is new to the equation. I understand the Tiger Tool can't upload new fuel mapping but I think I recall reading the dealer can? If so, it would be a worthwhile expense if they could cure this last remaining fueling issue. It's not difficult to ride around but I'd rather not have to.

I will take it out again tomorrow just to make sure I'm not dreaming.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:27:46 PM by avfan »

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
Another long ride over the weekend confirms that the bike seems to be fixed save the slight fueling issue outlined earlier. Just wanted to thank everyone who responded with suggestions and encouragement. Gotta' love crowdsourcing as a problem solving strategy. Special shout out to T800XC for the heads-up regarding the 12 minute calibration retune which ultimately straightened things out.

Recent Topics