Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help needed for Sat nav Map update Rider V2  (Read 616 times)

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Help needed for Sat nav Map update Rider V2
« on: May 01, 2019, 06:51:34 PM »
I have a Tom Tom Rider 2 and very happy with my mount on my 2012 bike - however they are telling me i can't update the maps any more and the last time i did it was 5 years ago - now facing a European tour need to update 

They are offering a deal on a new one ( satnav £300 odd quid i had not budgetted for )  - will it fit on the old charger mount  ? or will the new charger kit fit on the 4 bolts mounting on the old satnav mount ?

anybody know who has already changed over ?     

Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Travelman

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: KTM Superduke/ FJR
  • City / Town: South Shields
Re: Help needed for Sat nav Map update Rider V2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:02:01 PM »
Was it sold with lifetime map updates? If so then it's surely a breach of contract not to honour that? If it wasn't then you'll have to consider a new one and the new ones are not compatible with your version.

I wonder which model they are offering you. It's worth checking FC Moto as they presently have a good offer on the 550
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/TomTom-Rider-550-World-Route-Guidance-System&Currency=GBP&Locale=en_GB&utm_source=connexity&utm_medium=productlisting&utm_campaign=CON_GB&iccm=CON_GB
I know we have no free will, but I enjoy the delusion

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 08:42:24 AM »
mmm its not that one and its more expensive than that one - do i need the charging cable - and the ram mount - i guess i am also trying to understand whether i can use my current Triumph mount which is perfect for position ( 2012 Tex) with the new satnav - my current one is permanently wired   

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Travelman [+]
Was it sold with lifetime map updates? If so then it's surely a breach of contract not to honour that? If it wasn't then you'll have to consider a new one and the new ones are not compatible with your version.

I wonder which model they are offering you. It's worth checking FC Moto as they presently have a good offer on the 550
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/TomTom-Rider-550-World-Route-Guidance-System&Currency=GBP&Locale=en_GB&utm_source=connexity&utm_medium=productlisting&utm_campaign=CON_GB&iccm=CON_GB

Lifetime in TomTom contract speak is for the lifetime that the unit is supported. The old Rider 2's are now getting well out of date in the way that Sat Nav technology has moved on.

@sirsidneyrd - I used to have a Rider 2, and when the mount stopped charging it, I had to buy a new SatNav as (at the time) TomTom could not supply a new mount fo rmy Rider2 (depending on which Rider2, the number of charging pins varies apparently). I bought a new Rider400, which does have Lifetime Maps and Speed Camera's and is a completely different mount to the Rider2. However the new ones WILL (and do) hold all European maps, whereas (as you are aware), the Rider2 you had to decide which countries you wanted. Having said that if the Rider2 did the job, then why change.

The base unit for the new TT will fit onto the standard Triumph mount over the clocks, but you will need to re-wire in the charging cable. But you will need to use the new mount that TT seem to use for all their units now, a new TT won't fit the old Rider2 base mount

So to answer your question - you'll need the charging base and cable, but the charging base will mount the standard Triumph bracket (well it does on my Gen-2).

Have to say the TT Rider 400 I have is very good, used it all over Europe last year with no worries and comes with lifetime European maps. If you can get a 410, it's the same unit, but comes with lifetime Worldwide maps. Later units like the 50n series have a few more bells and whistles (like WiFi on the move), but I'm well happy with the TT400 on mine and they seem to sell around the £200 mark on eBay (for a complete system))
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:15:02 PM by Hawkeye »

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 04:48:51 PM »
Thanks the current cable is wired into the side lights - i guess the new one that plugs into the charging mount has a different end to it - i only need Europe - although when we went to the States i bought the US maps and mounted the TT to the Harley   

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 05:21:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
Thanks the current cable is wired into the side lights - i guess the new one that plugs into the charging mount has a different end to it - i only need Europe - although when we went to the States i bought the US maps and mounted the TT to the Harley

Yes you are correct, the plug coming from the TT mount is different. I have mine wired into the sidelight though same as yourself.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 05:34:33 PM »
   :031: Toby fair the dealer did it but i should be able to manage to change over - that deal for the 550 in Germany looks good - reviews for them are up and down but evidence that we are being charged more for the same product   

Offline Jarvis

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Wellington, Somerset
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 10:04:18 PM »
Updated my Tomtom Rider today. No issues pluged it into Tomtom Home and followed instructions.  Had upload Western Europe as a part download. In stead of whole of europe due to size of memory, but this upload cover uk and all western europe contries. Think mines the 2013 version of Rider v2.

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »
Through various moves have now got a 550 installed - just trying to get the hang of it !

Offline triumphpip

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 06:07:23 PM »
Hi I copied the Tom Tom programme onto a 4gb card put it into my V1 and upgraded the lot with 36 countries . Work just fine
[]D[][]D

Recent Topics