Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Roscoff-Santander with just 1 overnight?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Roscoff-Santander with just 1 overnight?
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
Hope the Pont Aven is back on - I'm away on Friday and this is menat to be part of the return trip on bank holiday Monday. So looking forward to getting a few miles in France !!  :001:

Check where Pont Aven is leaving from online:     www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ferry-routes/planning/sailing-updates
Portsmouth routes have been changed to Plymouth!

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 10:55:11 PM »
Thanks Will - they have emailed me a timing delay - nothing major - but thanks for the info.  :002:

Offline Kernowboy

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 08:19:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
There’s a nice ferry that takes you over the mouth of the Gironde that allows you to bypass Bordeaux. Recommended. You can see it on the map, when you look, but you could easily not notice it. Nice restaurant as you get off the boat.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for that, I'd seen that ferry on google maps when trying to plan a route but dismissed it because of time restraints, given the extra day that's now do-able!  :028:
No, it's just me, Mrs K sending me with her blessing!  :002:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
Just heard there's a 2nd "technical problem" with the Pont Aven and more cancellations this weekend. Hope they get it sorted before we go in early June. I could cope with a delay or different port but an outright cancellation would probably scupper the entire trip.

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 10:26:28 PM »
Hi Will - yep - 2nd issue was cancelled ferry - had to drive from Pau to Caen - to be fair the 510 miles in a day was n't as bad as I  imagined - the Tiger is a great bike !!

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2019, 10:49:37 AM »
You were lucky. After 9 months of planning my ferry was cancelled & Brittany Ferries just said sorry for the "inconvenience". Their customer services & information was dreadful, leaving it up to customers to get in touch with them but they wouldn't answer the phone or emails. It took about 3 weeks for them to put some uninformative unhelpful updates on their website. Eventually they did offer to try to get us on a ferry to France & pay us inadequate compensation to cover the extra fuel, tolls, accommodation etc. but there's no way we could get across France to catch up with our itinerary in Spain & on to Portugal. In the end we had to accept a full refund and are flying out to at least make use the villa we have booked.

As you might guess I'm looking forward to the next time I meet any representative of Brittany Ferries face to face  :007:

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »
My friend said they will be running from the 15th with 3 out of 4 engines - he is booked slightly later in the month thankfully 
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 03:48:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by sirsidneyrd [+]
My friend said they will be running from the 15th with 3 out of 4 engines - he is booked slightly later in the month thankfully

For your mate's sake I hope it does run again. They've already missed 3 dates they said it would be back in service by, then they realized they had no choice but to cancel a block of sailings, ours included - and I'm still waiting for my full refund they said would have been paid by now.

Offline stealingbacktime

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XRx Cobalt blue
  • City / Town: Holmefirth
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 09:39:50 PM »
Interesting but also slightly worrying read with regards to Pont-Aven ferry to Santander...my GF and myself are booked on this ferry leaving this Sunday.....originally booked this ferry because it was due to dock at 12.15 allowing us all day to ride to Toledo for our overnight stop before we carry onto our destination of Almeria

but now due to this 'significant technical repair ' it has put us back some 4 hours...which means we will not arrive at our hotel much before  10pm......

And very much like you Kernowboy I have never ridden abroad before......

SBT :305:
3 of the 4 voices keep telling me to go to sleep...the 4th voice wants to know if penguins have knees....

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 09:31:50 PM »
To be fair to Brittany Ferries  it was a major inconvenience and yes I could n't get through via phone but thousands of other people must have been affected too. They should have put more staff on and opened longer but financially I just about broke even. These things happen and whilst its annoying there is not much we can do.
Riding abraod is fine - take your time - do n't rush - especially in town. Follow your sat nav - be careful at roundabouts and leaving fuel stations - traffic is generally fantastically light and hopefully the weather is a bit better than in England now !!!! :008:

Recent Topics

nonskid