Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch M/cylinder leak  (Read 599 times)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Clutch M/cylinder leak
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:51:21 PM »
Has anyone had a leak from the top of their clutch master cylinder? After a 'spirited' ride mine started oozing today while parked on side stand.

How much does the fluid expand in use and/or with heat?  The leak stopped once the handlebars were straight & level & bike cooled down. Could it have expanded enough to force a leak?

I'm guessing (= hoping) that the dealer either over-filled it or didn't refit the gasket / lid correctly at the recent 30k mile service and the warm fluid expanded it enough to weep a little and that its not anything more serious.

Any hints, clues, suggestions etc welcome - I'll be phoning the dealer first thing in the morning!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Clutch M/cylinder leak
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:51:04 AM »
Never heard about clutch fluid expanding to the point of bypassing the cover/gasket/banjo tightening.
I'd place my bet on bad a gasket (probably caused by the dealer).

Beware though that the fluid is extremely corrosive to almost any kind of paint!

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 05:50:07 PM »
Ah, it's been to a dealer. I think I see your problem.......

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 10:17:16 AM »
Can't help remembering the good old days when my mech was in charge of servicing my bikes!
He was a mech. A true one. Never missing anything.
But that was before the 21st century unfolded its global all-business approach...

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Trenton
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 03:37:19 PM »
Risking a possible silly question, prior to the ride was the level visible in the sight glass with the bike on the center stand?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 04:06:36 PM »
Off the top of my head, if your brake fluid has not been refreshed, water can accumulate which can be heated to boiling temperatures during "spirited riding" causing water vapor to force brake fluid to back up in the reservoir. This can lock up the brakes. When was the last time your brake fluid was replaced?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »
Problem was simple. Diaphragm/gasket had distorted & wasn't sealing the top properly. Careful re-assembly cured the leak. Leak had looked much worse than it was and fluid was still within max/min level marks. New diaphragm ready & waiting to be fitted if problem recurs.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 08:44:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Diaphragm/gasket had distorted
By itself?
Damn poltergeists!
(c8

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
By itself?
Damn poltergeists!
(c8

It happens. This winter, after ~70K miles on three different TEXs the plastic backrest on my top case decided that it was about time it took off. At around 6:00 AM in the middle of a "spirited" ride  :164: ... The word poltergeists did cross my mind in a different shape and form as the plastic piece broke free of whatever ingenious adhesive technology my dealer bestowed upon it and slapped the back of my helmet with enough force that I started yelling "what the f$##@k'n hell son of a b!tc. who slapped me?!?!? I'm gonna kill you!!!" Then I saw the plastic piece bouncing around in the mirror.

Damn poltergeists, indeed.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 04:32:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
It happens. This winter, after ~70K miles on three different TEXs the plastic backrest on my top case decided that it was about time it took off. At around 6:00 AM in the middle of a "spirited" ride  :164: ... The word poltergeists did cross my mind in a different shape and form as the plastic piece broke free of whatever ingenious adhesive technology my dealer bestowed upon it and slapped the back of my helmet with enough force that I started yelling "what the f$##@k'n hell son of a b!tc. who slapped me?!?!? I'm gonna kill you!!!" Then I saw the plastic piece bouncing around in the mirror.

Damn poltergeists, indeed.
They glued it on??? Usually, those things are screwed on (at least in Givi world, they are).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics