Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Drive shaft  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Re: Drive shaft
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »
How long do we realistically expect the life of a UJ to be? They do wear out!

I know on my Guzzi Le Mans I was pleased if the UJ lasted 40k miles, & having had one fail fairly spectacularly at half that, I habitually checked it, lubricated it and if there was any noise or sign it was passed its best I replaced it. But it was relatively easy to do and recommended as part of the service schedule - unlike our Explorers!

Triumph are putting too much faith in the quality of their components and underestimating owners expectations & mileages. It's time they realized the shaft & bevel have to be serviceable items or admit the bikes have a limited lifespan and uneconomic for high mileage users to own!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 09:33:05 AM »
I'm pretty certain they did the math a long time ago and concluded it was perfectly acceptable for THEM.
As long as us customers stay loyal despite such blatant lack of consideration from them (and I'm one of the guilties here with my fifth Triumph), their calculation remains valid.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 03:27:42 PM »
Someone want to explain to me what happens when it fails at speed.

Offline flaldrider

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer Launch
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 02:24:27 AM »
When my front universal joint failed,  there was a loss of forward motion, the engine rpm jumped up and there was a loud banging at my left foot peg due to the end of the shaft banging the inside of the housing.

Just prior the all of this, there was a vibration that started and in about 20 to 30 seconds the vibration got intense and noisy and then bang. No lockup of the rear wheel but just a lot of stuff quickly. Not much warning to be sure.
Mikie

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 09:37:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by flaldrider [+]
When my front universal joint failed,  there was a loss of forward motion, the engine rpm jumped up and there was a loud banging at my left foot peg due to the end of the shaft banging the inside of the housing.

Just prior the all of this, there was a vibration that started and in about 20 to 30 seconds the vibration got intense and noisy and then bang. No lockup of the rear wheel but just a lot of stuff quickly. Not much warning to be sure.

You had a lucky escape!
The only time I've had any UJ fail there was plenty of noise followed by a momentary lock up, fortunately at low speed. I pulled the clutch FAST & stopped to check it out.
Quite what would have happened if it had locked a minute earlier when I was doing about 70mph doesn't bear thinking about!
Re-starting the bike to move it to a safer place I let the clutch out the rear wheel locked solid & bike went sideways. It then had to be pushed & dragged to move anywhere!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 03:34:20 PM »
Will, was it a UJ rupture on a Tex?
As I wrote here above, I thought the metalastic part was designed to break first, thus preventing the rear wheel to lock up?

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Will, was it a UJ rupture on a Tex?
As I wrote here above, I thought the metalastic part was designed to break first, thus preventing the rear wheel to lock up?

No, it was on one of my Guzzis.

As for the metalastic joint - My understanding is it's only intended to be a shock absorber, like a cush drive, not as a safety device to stop the shaft & wheel locking up.
So it will protect the rest of the drive train from normal stresses & strains but won't sheer unless it is itself faulty/damaged.
If a UJ failed the metalastic joint would probably survive, or if it did sheer as a consequence of a UJ failure it would probably be too late to stop the wheel locking up.

Offline Hoozdis

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Plano, TX
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 07:48:59 PM »
convert it to chain and sprocket drive...problem solved    :745:

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 04:48:07 PM »
I guess it is something that will have to be inspected from time to time.

Offline Vt_sailor

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Saratoga Springs, NY
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 12:22:57 AM »
What's involved in such an inspection?  Do you have to take the drive shaft apart?
2015 Explorer--givi bags with motech mounts,
Radiator protector, delrin gps mount, OEM & motech crash bars, motech hand guards, Clearwater Darla fog lights

Recent Topics

nonskid