Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Seize WTF  (Read 1035 times)

Offline epl

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Freehold, NJ
Engine Seize WTF
« on: May 17, 2019, 09:44:52 PM »
Back in 2011, I bought a 2012 Tiger Explorer and have put 30,000 miles on it. I've been up and down the eastern side of North America; from Nova Scotia to Clearwater, FL. Yearly, I bring it in for service to make sure all is well. However, 20 miles from my house the engine started stalling, then wouldn't start at all. My dealer trailered the bike to the shop. Upon inspection, they found that the engine seized. Has anyone heard of this happening?

It seems I'm now the owner of a large door-stop or paper weight. I'm in shock.

Offline avfan

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Trenton
Re: Engine Seize WTF
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:01:56 PM »
Yikes, that is awful. As a relatively new owner myself, this is not something I want to hear. I'm not sure what to say other than sorry for your loss. Do they (or you) plan on doing an autopsy to try and figure out what happened?

Offline RaglandT

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tigers 800xc-1200XRT
  • City / Town: San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 10:11:33 PM »

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 12:09:45 AM »
 :005:

That is a tough break.

I think it is an unusual occurrence with this engine.  I have a 2013 Trophy and a 2015 TEX both with the same basic engine. I am active on both the Trophy and the TEX forums  and this seems very unusual.

I can't imagine Triumph would do anything on a bike that old but it is always worth an ask.  If you decide to fix it, I saw a TEX engine, low mileage on ebay for less than $4,000 and it appears to include shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Triumph-Tiger-Explorer-1200-Engine-Motor-GUARANTEED-2-864-Miles/163635622223?fits=Make%3ATriumph&hash=item261971714f:g:fQUAAOSwOgFcp6ME 

Other than that, I guess you can spend you time parting it out.  I have seen some good deals on low mileage TEXs on ebay and craigslist.

Best of luck, either way.

ZShyster

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 02:22:46 AM »
So when you say engine seize, do you man it locked up solid so it doesn't spin?   If that is the case then I would think that the dealer serviced your bike and didn't put oil in it. 

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 02:53:47 AM »
Quite weird indeed. I put 41K miles on a Gen 1 in two years and never had a single mechanical problem with that bike. The second Gen 1 20K miles in two years - same, not a hiccup.

And I've never heard of an engine seize. Except that one time when I tried to start the bike and it was 9F and the engine wouldn't turn for the first two attempts, but ran fine at the third attempt and it was unseized again.

Really curious as to what the underlying cause might be. I say oil as well...

Please keep us updated and really sorry for your loss.  :003:  :019:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 05:23:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by epl [+]
Back in 2011, I bought a 2012 Tiger Explorer and have put 30,000 miles on it. I've been up and down the eastern side of North America; from Nova Scotia to Clearwater, FL. Yearly, I bring it in for service to make sure all is well. However, 20 miles from my house the engine started stalling, then wouldn't start at all. My dealer trailered the bike to the shop. Upon inspection, they found that the engine seized. Has anyone heard of this happening?

Hard to tell what could have happened per the "engine seized" statement. Did you ever get the head replaced on this bike. There are a lot of documented cases where the head on these 1215 engines through VIN 602960 have grenaded and caused catastrophic damage. They have been replacing these heads since May of 2014 if I recall correctly, upon an owners request per SB474. My TEX was ordered in Dec. of 2011 and the head was replaced in the spring of 2014. It was the first one my dealer did. He proactively replaced the heads in every eligible TEX & Trophy after doing mine.
If it hasn't been replaced, I would check with your dealer & see if the "seizure" could have anything to do with that. If so, Triumph may very well do something for you. It doesn't hurt to ask... Good luck. :028:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 05:31:11 AM by Jon »
Jon

Offline avbiz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Explore
  • City / Town: roswell
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »
I agree with Jon- you have nothing to loose in going through the goodwill warranty process. Don’t let the dealer make the decision on approved or not; it is up to Triumph UK so demand your claim gets submitted. Good luck.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 03:07:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by epl [+]

As others have pointed out, the valve guide issue has in at least one case, caused engine stalling due to lack of compression because one or more exhaust valves are no longer sealing resulting in loss of compression.

Pursue the case with Triumph for a goodwill warranty. You have nothing to lose. See here for more info:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17989.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Rael303

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Black Explorer
  • City / Town: Mechanicsburg, PA
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 05:30:03 PM »
Sure would like a few more details about what seized!

Recent Topics