Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Has anyone replaced their heated grips?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Los Angeles
Has anyone replaced their heated grips?
« on: June 10, 2019, 12:36:01 AM »
I have heated grips on my 14 TEX, but the rubber is starting to fall apart. All I want to do is change the rubber grips as I have everything else in place from the original install.

Has anyone done this process? If so, what's the best way to go about it?

Offline Grey tiger

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger explorer xc
  • City / Town: Bermagui NSW
Re: Has anyone replaced their heated grips?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:04:27 AM »
Yeah, I replaced my heated grips after the rubber wore out. You're going to have to buy a new heated grip kit as you can't just replace the rubber grip on its own. When you do make sure you use the existing wires to pull the new ones through the hole in the handle bar and all the way through the head stock to the connection under the tank. Some on here have reconnected without taking the tank off . I took mine off, much easier and good practice for removing the tank. Good luck as its a fiddly job.

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 04:39:29 AM »
I was really hoping to read otherwise :(

I took the tank off about 3 months ago to replace the air filter and coolant. Not looking forward to doing that again...

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 10:18:18 AM »
Try Grip Puppies first, cheap fix and if you don't like it, it did not cost you an arm and a leg  :002:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Ollyreid

• Explorer Pro
  • Happiness is a bike called TEX....
  • Bike: Tr'Ex / T'Alp / VFR
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 10:34:55 AM »
Morning,

You don't need to buy the full kit.

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/partscatalog/catalog/listing/catalog/triumphmc/modelid/560600/block/100063265-0-2/

This is a link to WORLD OF TRIUMPH in the UK - however it shows the parts as listed.  Admittedly it shows their own part numbers but if you put the part you need "in the basket" it then displays the actual TRIUMPH part number.

My dealer ordered a new rubber grip for mine (he actually split a kit down and ordered new to go back in the box to save me waiting!).  And the prices were NOT as they show on the list.  If I recall I paid about £12.00 for a new grip. 

I also have put Grip Puppies over them too - a bit longer to warm up, but work well.

That said - they also have a sale on:

https://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph-accessories/tiger-explorer-accessories/tiger-explorer-740276/tiger-explorer.html

You could buy a new kit and have spares!  Not sure if they post Worldwide (probably - as I'm sure I've seen someone on here before mention them posting outside the EU), but maybe your local dealer is also doing the sale? 

Olly

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 03:34:52 PM »
Thanks! I don't have a local triumph dealer. Triumph lost a ton of dealers in the past 2-3 years because of ridiculous demands as they tried to bmw-ize the brand. Closest one is quite far away and one of those multi brand dealers.

I figured that the grips have to connect with the harness somewhere and that harness is in place so we'll see.

Also I found the kit from bike bandit at a ridiculously low price. I'm pretty sure it is a misprice, so we'll see if they honor it.

I'm just trying to not have to pull off the tank. It is a pita.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 05:17:19 PM »
Right now, full grip kits seemed to be discounted. See here for more info:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,16838.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline stevieh

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 08:58:03 AM »
I replaced the left heater grip on my tex bought the left grip by itself from triumph world cost £35 don't know if they ship to USA worth looking on there site

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Up North Mate !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 11:02:48 PM »
I have super bike grips on all my bikes as they just feel right..i have fitted these type on my explorer but whats needed is to buy 2 sets (£9.99 a set) and use the throttle side on each side so they fit over the heater elements after carefully taken the OEM originals off...

https://www.google.com/search?q=superbike+grips&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi71IPj_OniAhVOXhUIHR6DCrUQ_AUIESgC&biw=1280&bih=588#imgrc=y5pP0N-RufnjIM:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:04:48 PM by belpas »
I work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes....

Offline Rockhopp3r

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 08:03:07 AM »
Alright, updating the thread.

So, I ended up getting the heated grips from Bike Bandit for the very small price of $35.53, shipped. You might get them for ~$24, if you order enough additional stuff to qualify for free shipping. Apparently, it was not a misprice as the order was honored and the price is still the same: https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/triumph/a9638121/b3193247

This is a great opportunity to get the genuine Triumph heated grips. They also come in a very nice box with foam and magnetic closing; feels like a premium product at a bargain price.

Installation is a whole different animal.

I was just under the bike and removed the side fairing to see if I can get to the connector without removing the tank. While I think it might be possible, it is just too difficult to get it done. I suspect it would take me longer to try to connect these without removing the tank than just going ahead and removing the tank. I've left the task for another day as I might want to take the opportunity to run some USB wires with the tank removed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:05:13 AM by Rockhopp3r »

Recent Topics

nonskid