Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 Gen 3 - Won't start  (Read 3746 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: 2018 Gen 3 - Won't start
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 05:55:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by flyboy52219 [+]
Call this guy...maybe he can get them to expedite. Kidding aside appreciate your videos on Youtube as they helped me in my purchase and ownership tremendously. Hope this gets sorted out soon. Cheers!

Ha ha, yes, a personal friend of mine is the old Duke! Thanks for the kind words too. I am really hoping it gets sorted soon. There’s a silver lining to everything. While mooching about on the bike adverts I came across my old 1995 Triumph Daytona 1200 from the UK. It is for sale not two hours from me here in Ireland. Going up to see it tomorrow to see if it’s viable to put on the road for a few weeks or months until I’m sorted. Now wouldn’t that be something, what are the chances?

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 12:54:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Now wouldn’t that be something, what are the chances?
Maybe that old Daytona is your soul bike.  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 08:32:17 AM »
Is it the yellow one?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Maybe that old Daytona is your soul bike.  :001:
Maybe Capt'n, maybe We shall see, not many left on the road nowadays but the engine on these early Triumphs were pretty bullit proof, and no electronics!  :164:

Nik - Is it the yellow one? - no, it's the all black one. It was a totally blacked out special edition but not the actual "last run special edition" of 250. It had adjustable suspension and that was it. Not leading edge compared to the Japanese competition at the time but a lot of character. It was the only four cylinder bike I ever owned now I come to think of it, there was a triple 900 version too which was identical bar the engine. I'll post a pic later on, should being seeing it in a couple of hours.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 01:40:29 PM »
A long time friend of mines have the blue-ish 900 one.
He sold all of his bikes, but never could let this one go.
As you said, not the best performer, but certainly the most fun to ride!

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 03:49:33 PM »
Well I went and purchased it. Documented and verified mileage, two valve checks recorded in it's service history, carbs cleaned, good tyres, chain/sprocket, plugs, oil/filter, new fork seals 2K miles ago, new battery and good bodywork for the age. Everything works, the indicators look HUGE compared to the T12's! Look closely and you can see the wear in spots but nothing that would stop you having a blast. If I did 1000 miles a year on this that would be about it, glad I found my old bike, going back next week to pick it up. It's been through a good few owners I will say!

Offline Pauld

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger explorer
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
Stunning looking bike, love it. Never ridden one, but always love the looks. Superb.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2019, 05:09:33 PM »
No fix for my bike yet so I have just come back with my temporary machine (my old D12 from 1995 which I'm gonna keep now). Electronic ignition is about as complex as it got then, not even EFI, it has 4 carbs.

For those that find the engine heat unbearable on the Tex/T12 you should try one of these. I just rode it down 150km from Northern Ireland to the Republic, its only 20-21 Deg C (69 F) here and it's like riding with a coal bucket between your knees..............with hot embers in it! If you find the TEX is unbearable this would have you running to A & E! Temp gauge is at normal running temperatures, there is nothing wrong with the bike, it was always thus.  :030:

Just need a new spine and wrist implant now.  :033:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 05:37:44 PM by XCaTel »

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 12:29:09 AM »
Lovely!!  :001: :001: :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
For those that find the engine heat unbearable on the Tex/T12 you should try one of these.
The 900 Triple was somewhat on the hot side, but having two cylinders instead of one squeezed between the two others apparently made it worse!
According to a friend, the 1200 Trophy was suffering the same situation. Its engine was totally bullet proof though (last time I saw him, his was past 200,000 km).

One word of warning: replacing the starter sprocket takes many hours of labour. And it's weak by design. So I'm urging you to maintain your battery in a perfect state of charge. Always.
And don't count on symptoms to manifest before the battery fails. The starter will make a perfectly normal sound but the engine just won't fire up.
Optimate is your best friend!

Recent Topics