Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 Gen 3 - Won't start  (Read 3066 times)

Simmo and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: 2018 Gen 3 - Won't start
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2019, 09:36:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]

One word of warning: replacing the starter sprocket takes many hours of labour. And it's weak by design. So I'm urging you to maintain your battery in a perfect state of charge. Always.
And don't count on symptoms to manifest before the battery fails. The starter will make a perfectly normal sound but the engine just won't fire up.
Optimate is your best friend!
Cheers Nik. I had heard of starter issues although not when I first owned this bike, I didn't realise the battery condition had such an impact, thanks for the heads up. As it happens Day 1 was a new battery, it is fitted now and I have a spare Optimate cable assembly that I didn't use (as I use the DIN socket on the T12) which will go straight on to the new battery. This bike will spend most of it's life on the optimate, when I get my Tiger back that will be my main wheels.

Offline flyboy52219

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCA
  • City / Town: Shelby Twp.
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2019, 02:08:34 PM »
Glad you found your soul bike. Has Triumph offered a loaner while your 1200 is out of commission?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by flyboy52219 [+]
Glad you found your soul bike. Has Triumph offered a loaner while your 1200 is out of commission?
Yes, loving the old 1200, the engine is very smooth, like 2019 bike smooth. It wants to go though, it’s just me that's slowed down since! No loaner from Triumph I'm afraid, that would mean them paying the dealer to provide a loaner which would put them seriously out of pocket, not sure they are going to volunteer for that. It could be fixed tomorrow, just don't know at this stage. I am kept informed as to what's going on, there is no lack of communication, but I wouldn't of minded it happening in the winter time!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2019, 08:31:25 AM »
Been there, done that...
No loaner from big T (my dealer gave me a used Honda out of good will), no clue from them as to what's wrong with the bike...
Honestly not the kind of support I'd have expected for a €20k+ customer.

Don't hesitate to directly address Triumph UK as it seems their local network sometimes is not that concerned by your problems.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2019, 02:11:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]

Don't hesitate to directly address Triumph UK as it seems their local network sometimes is not that concerned by your problems.
Triumph Dublin are hooked into the UK system, so the contact is directly via Hinkley HQ, they are on the case alright. Post Brexit who knows, Ireland may have to team up with another European Union based Triumph entity for free movement of goods?

Back in 2000 The EU settled a case where they were going to fine Triumph for stopping the Benelux importer and some dealers selling back into the UK market in '97-'98. The £Stg was strong back then and Triumphs were up to 30% cheaper in Belgium and a lot of Triumph UK customers cottoned on.

Offline bixxer bob

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Norfolk
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2019, 06:18:59 PM »
Not really gonna be a lot of help here, but anyway...

I've had my Gen 1 Exp for 2 yrs or so and put 20k on it, but not had much in the way of problems, but before it I had a 955i and learned very quickly that dealers generally take loads of money to change your oil, can parts swap at eyewatering cost if the ECU actually has a trouble code, but are generally useless at any actual fault investigation on their own.  Hence me learning to do everything myself.

Two things came to mind that are worth thinking about.  Firstly someone mentioned their heated seat didn't work.  Neither did mine when I first fitted it.  I found that the plug/socket is VERY finnicky and needs a really good shove to get a connection, hope that helps.  Secondly, regarding the non starting. I had lots of folks on the 955 forum with symptoms similar to yours although if it was the issue in your case I'm sure even the dealer would have sussed it by now.  Anyway.  Unlike the old days when bikes had carbs and a weak battery was apparent by poor cranking, but as long as everything else was good, you could get lucky and a weak spark would catch and the thing would rumble into life.  Not so with fuel injection systems.  Nowadays if the battery is beginning to fail everything lights up as normal, and it can be happy enough to crank normally, but it takes so much current that there's no power left to open the injectors, so everything appears normal but the bike doesn't start.  I've had many forum members argue back that the battery has been on an Optimate for months, or I charged it last week etc so it must be ok, only to come back later and say I fitted a new battery and it's ok again.  Just my thoughts... :038:

I'll shut up now  :001:

Offline bixxer bob

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Norfolk
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2019, 06:26:07 PM »
Just read NIK's heated seat saga on another thread so no need to beat me up over it  :008:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2019, 10:53:38 PM »
bixxer bob - If I thought they hadn't tried a new battery first I would be mightily upset! I'm sure that was the first thing they did.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2019, 09:01:49 AM »
Yeah Bixxer, of course I did try to force plug the terminals several times before handing the problem over to the dealer ;-)

XCA, still no luck with big T?

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2019, 10:01:54 AM »
No luck so far, the dealer is totally stumped and is at a loss what to do after trying all the Triumph suggestions and shipped parts. So far 55 days in the dealer and 57 days off the road, in the height of summer! Still paying road tax and insurance for a bike I can't use.  In some states of the US that would be considered a "lemon" and there would be quick recourse. It's a little different here in Europe and I do have a lot of rights, but it could be a lengthy & messy process to execute on an 18-month-old bike.

The dealer is representing me to Triumph, I guess I am more disappointed in Triumphs response to be honest, it has been very weak. I would have thought by now Triumph UK would of grabbed the bull by the horns and just put this whole thing to bed. Just give me another bike and take my lump back. Summer 2019 has been wiped out for me as far as two wheels are concerned (although I have managed to put 1000 km on my 1995 Daytona which was fun).

Unfortunately for the dealer my contract is with them so they will be in the firing line when it comes to impending legal action which is looking more likely by the day. I really didn't want to go down that road, just a bloody waste of everybody’s time.

The Tiger 1200 is a fabulous bike and I know I and a very small handful of owners have suffered this problem, I don't want to put anybody off it, it is an unusual issue. Having said that it is unlikely I, personally would buy Triumph again regardless of the outcome now as the damage is done - very poor customer service.  :013:

Recent Topics

nonskid