Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 Gen 3 - Won't start  (Read 3453 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: 2018 Gen 3 - Won't start
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2019, 06:27:59 AM »
It’s because I’m not 100% sure kenw! It’s more like what they didn’t replace. The things I do know we’re some Switchgear, the  ignition, antenna and steering lock. I have a new key set along with the new ignition. The TPM then had to be re-registered with the dash.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2019, 08:03:33 AM »
I can't believe they didn't know exactly what change finally solved the problem.
Surely Triumph would have been intensely interested in that???

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2019, 08:20:04 AM »
They might know kenw and I am going to try and find out exactly which item, or combination of items did the trick. I will report back if I get any further insight from them.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2019, 08:31:30 PM »
Ok, it is not 100% definitive and could be the result of more than one failed part (or a failing part also taking out another) but a “controller” that is linked to various chassis features e.g. heated seats, heated grips (and other stuff) is also connected to the engine immobiliser in some manner and it is thought that had a major part to play. I also have three new keys and antenna so hopefully this newer set will flag less “keyfob out of range” errors too.

So, if by some unfortunate event this happens to your bike pick up on the clues. I.e my heated seats were acting up and highlight this to the dealer. The steering lock jamming on was a major headache for the dealer which generated an awful lot of extra work in tank and top yoke removal just for access to various items.

After a couple of weeks on the Daytona 1200 I’d forgotten just how ergonomically sound and comfortable the Tiger was. The weather forecast is terrible for tomorrow but a long  ride out is planned, can’t wait!

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2019, 09:28:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Ok, it is not 100% definitive and could be the result of more than one failed part (or a failing part also taking out another) but a “controller” that is linked to various chassis features e.g. heated seats, heated grips (and other stuff) is also connected to the engine immobiliser in some manner and it is thought that had a major part to play. I also have three new keys and antenna so hopefully this newer set will flag less “keyfob out of range” errors too.

So, if by some unfortunate event this happens to your bike pick up on the clues. I.e my heated seats were acting up and highlight this to the dealer. The steering lock jamming on was a major headache for the dealer which generated an awful lot of extra work in tank and top yoke removal just for access to various items.

After a couple of weeks on the Daytona 1200 I’d forgotten just how ergonomically sound and comfortable the Tiger was. The weather forecast is terrible for tomorrow but a long  ride out is planned, can’t wait!

:460: :460: :460: thank you for all this brother. this in invaluable. both you and Nik, sorry for your pains but here's to hoping that this will save others from the same fate  :821: :821: :821: :821:

you folks rock
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2019, 12:32:41 AM »
Phew... my heated seats work perfectly.  I hope they remain like that.  (I don't use mine much, but the missus loves hers when its cool.)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2019, 09:31:21 AM »
And it's fixed! After two months off the road, 16th June to 16th August Triumph have fixed my dead bike. Many parts were swapped, and I now have full functionality. My heated seat failures, which were incidental but connected to the failure, were cured too. Glad to have my bike back.
 :160:
Two things:
1 - Glad for you!
2 - Your story decidedly sounds a lot like mine! (but for the heated seat that's still dead).

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2019, 09:33:55 AM »
Ok, it is not 100% definitive
I pressed Triumph France and UK hard to get information, to no avail at all!
My dealer said the problem was solved by just a new firmware update. They didn't replace a single part.
Hence my belief that Triumph is just ashamed to acknowledge that they're helpless when troubleshooting their software. Two months of hit'n miss is by no means a professional process.

Still, thanks for your report, that I'll pass onto my dealer to try and get my bike in a normal state one of these days...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:36:58 AM by NiK »

Recent Topics