Author Topic: 2018 Gen 3 - Won't start  (Read 12111 times)

Offline Catman88

• Ex Member
  • Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA 2019
  • City / Town: Central California
Re: 2018 Gen 3 - Won't start
Reply #100 on: May 23, 2021, 06:51:03 PM
These bikes only come with a two year warranty unless you opt to buy an extended warranty, I would hate to even think what you would of been charged if your bike was out of warranty, especially with them not knowing what the problem was.  They can't figure out the problem so they just start replacing parts until it's fixed. :151: $$$$$$$$$$$$$

My local Triumph dealer sells five different brands of motorcycles,  I highly doubt that the mechanics can be well-versed on so many brand and models. It's not possible.

Offline smorgan

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Reply #101 on: May 24, 2021, 03:58:05 PM
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
The rest of us gen3 owners will be very interested to see how this pans out.

I've only had one inexplicable will-not-start.  That was after filling up (a looooong way from home).  I checked everything I could think of, then moved the bike a few metres.  It started.
The other two explainable won't-starts were near a mobile phone tower, and at home with a flat battery (but not flat enough to be obvious).

I occasionally get keyfob out of range errors, but ignore them.  So far so good.

over the years I have had a lot of issues with alarms and Hull docks - once too close to boarding a ferry something transmitted from the ship stops the alarm from working so when it auto arms you cant switch it off

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #102 on: May 25, 2021, 01:41:35 PM
Moons ago on my Suzuki 250X7 I went to a school reunion. On entering the school my bike failed, just went dead. It was a CDI unit and I got a bus into town and got a replacement from a Suzuki dealer, it was in stock. I went back to the school six months later and the exact same thing happened. It turned out there was a massive power line feeding the school that ran under the entrance. My brother on his BSA M21 side valve was unaffected of course!

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #103 on: May 25, 2021, 03:46:09 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Moons ago on my Suzuki 250X7 I went to a school reunion. On entering the school my bike failed, just went dead. It was a CDI unit and I got a bus into town and got a replacement from a Suzuki dealer, it was in stock. I went back to the school six months later and the exact same thing happened. It turned out there was a massive power line feeding the school that ran under the entrance. My brother on his BSA M21 side valve was unaffected of course!

There's very little that will stop a BSA M21.....including its brakes  :745: :745: :745:

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #104 on: May 25, 2021, 03:49:34 PM
Technology for tech sake - causes more problems than it solves most of the time  :084:
Oh how I miss the days when if a bike / car failed, 8 out of 10 times you could get it running again at the side of the road !..... unless of course it was wrapped around a tree  :087:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #105 on: May 25, 2021, 03:55:14 PM
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
There's very little that will stop a BSA M21.....including its brakes  :745: :745: :745:

You are right Will, worst still it had a sidecar, I went prematurely grey in that thing.  :156:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #106 on: May 25, 2021, 04:01:00 PM
I did one day on a M21 with sidecar. Lets just say it didn't end well (in truth it could hardly have ended any worse) and it put me off sidecars for life.
But I do know of a M21 bobber/hot rod special that looks fun and goes like stink, but about the only stock BSA bits are the frame, crankcases & barrel.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Reply #107 on: June 08, 2021, 04:19:54 PM
*Originally Posted by CraptainC [+]
Technology for tech sake - causes more problems than it solves most of the time  :084:
I disagree!
Technology is perfectly useful if and only if properly designed and tested.
It's no mystery that electronics are sensitive to inductive/radio electricity emissions. Only the dumbest of dumb*ss builds insufficiently shielded electronic devices.

Whenever a crappy startup-like company rushes a product or feature to the market, we poor paying customers always suffer the consequences.