Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shaftdrive heat issue?  (Read 407 times)

Offline pricey

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lymm
Shaftdrive heat issue?
« on: June 21, 2019, 02:05:14 PM »
Hi Guys, newbie to the group....

Just come back from doing tour round Scotland (1500 miles) on my 63 plate 1200. Loving the bike I've had it a year.

My question is, has anybody had an issue  with overheating Shaftdrive where it connects to the wheel? Noticed Steam coming off mine when i got home (went through a downpour on motorway) virtually evaporated all water off while i was watching it!!!
Any thoughts?

Cheers in advance.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
Re: Shaftdrive heat issue?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 02:08:48 PM »
 :400: to the group and good to hear that you are enjoying the TEX.

I did over 70K miles on three different TEX models and never had any issues with over-heating shaft drives. As long as it is properly oiled / maintained by your dealer during routine service you have nothing to worry about.

That doesn't mean that you may not have a problem. There are technically way more knowledgeable people here in the forum. I am sure they'd chip in. I am here to share my own experience :-)

:821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »
First of all, welcome aboard. :821:  Be sure to check in to our new members thread so that you can get welcomed properly.

In answer to your heat issue, all I know is that I've ridden in rain many times and have never noticed steam coming from the drive unit. That's not to say it hasn't happened, but I've never noticed it. I'm sure the unit does get pretty warm during a spirited ride though, and if the rain is one of those cold spring rains I would imagine it could happen. The first thing I would do would be to check the fluid level in the drive gear box to make sure it's not low and fill it or drain it & refill it. When was the last time it was serviced?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:52:32 PM by Jon »
Jon

Offline pricey

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lymm
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 02:58:45 PM »
Hi Jon,
Bike had 20,000 mile service last year when i bought it, and had a oil service a week  before i went to Scotland.
Noticed a warm oil smell before, but just assumed it was heat from engine.
Cheers  :031:

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 03:17:24 PM »
I would still check the fluid level. Triumph recommends (at least on the Gen 1 & 2 models) to change the shaft drive unit initially at 500 miles and was then good to go forever. I've always changed mine every 10 thousand miles (every other engine oil change). It's cheap insurance & peace of mind for a unit that is known to have a few issues anyway... It's quite possible that yours hasn't been changed or checked since the 500 mile checkup and may not have gotten filled properly at the time. It doesn't hurt anything to check & only takes a minute or so of your time... :821:
Jon

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Member
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 07:34:32 PM »
Mine is always the first thing to dry out on my bike in the recent weather too, though no steam, I'm going with "they all do that sir" but check the oil level will put your mind at rest.  :821:
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 10:15:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
I would still check the fluid level. Triumph recommends (at least on the Gen 1 & 2 models) to change the shaft drive unit initially at 500 miles and was then good to go forever. I've always changed mine every 10 thousand miles (every other engine oil change). It's cheap insurance & peace of mind for a unit that is known to have a few issues anyway... It's quite possible that yours hasn't been changed or checked since the 500 mile checkup and may not have gotten filled properly at the time. It doesn't hurt anything to check & only takes a minute or so of your time... :821:
Same here - change the oil at 20k miles - it was perfect but considering the very small volume its cheap insurance. Never had an issue with water or overheating - bike ran 10k miles last year without issue.

Recent Topics

nonskid