Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cruise control funnies on 2018 Tiger  (Read 2262 times)

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Cruise control funnies on 2018 Tiger
« on: June 22, 2019, 02:01:30 AM »
Something that happens to me on my gen3 Tiger...

Sometimes when riding through a small town with cruise control on, I brake to kill it.  Then on the other side of town I hit the resume lever, and instead of resuming at the previous speed (usually 80 or 100 km/h), it resumes at the current speed, which might be around 60km/h.

Its not a genuine set, because this takes two presses of the 'set' lever.  Its a resume, with one press of the 'resume' lever.
It doesn't always happen like this, but often enough.

Anyone else having the same thing happen to them?

Offline biketraveller

• Explorer Junior
  • https://biketraveller.org
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
Re: Cruise control funnies on 2018 Tiger
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 05:14:32 PM »
Yes, plus one of this strange behaviour. Happens intermittent, and after 30000 km on my 2018 XRt I still have absolutely no idea why the reset sometimes works flawlessly and at other time resumes at the current speed. Seeing it happening in South Australia, too, at least confirms to me that it is not myself going bonkers but indeed a real flaw. Maybe a gremlin in the firmware of one of the four brainboxes of the bike or a weird combination of input signals from the zillion CAN bus sensors?
Hopefully one of our more electronically minded members can shed some light on this?

Ride safely

Pete

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
I think it is "Skynet" checking to see if you are paying attention. When it sees that you aren't, it will take control of your T(Terminator?)-1200. Just sayin.  :005:

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 11:16:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
I think it is "Skynet" checking to see if you are paying attention. When it sees that you aren't, it will take control of your T(Terminator?)-1200. Just sayin.  :005:
Well that explains the occasional "keyfob out of range" error then.  Temporary signal interference from Skynet.

And my other glitch, a reset to the fuel consumption occasionally starts it at 50L/100km -Skynet has gulped some of my fuel?

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »
on the serious side, could you have moisture in the switch housing, which is causing intermittent contact?

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 06:37:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by KenW [+]
Something that happens to me on my gen3 Tiger...

Sometimes when riding through a small town with cruise control on, I brake to kill it.  Then on the other side of town I hit the resume lever, and instead of resuming at the previous speed (usually 80 or 100 km/h), it resumes at the current speed, which might be around 60km/h.

Its not a genuine set, because this takes two presses of the 'set' lever.  Its a resume, with one press of the 'resume' lever.
It doesn't always happen like this, but often enough.

Anyone else having the same thing happen to them?
Happens here too but it does not worry me much. Just push Set again. The CC is much better than my GEN 1 Explorers
And it behaves same as on my 2017  Tiger  Sport..

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 06:27:04 AM »
Interesting I have not had that happen on mine that I can recall.  Though when I am going to kick off the cruise I normally use the throttle.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
Well, I rode almost 100,000 km with the original Mk1 CC (right handed). It was spot on almost everytime I used it (i.e. all the time!).

Since I got my Mk3, I must say the CC is a setback compared to the previous iteration:
- Firstly, placing the rocker switch on the upside of the left cluster is an ergonomic abomination. I use the 'Mode' button once or twice a year, whereas I use the CC button once or twice a minute. How's that for a well-thought control?
- Secondly, I used to press my old CCs very quickly and it always responded instantly. The new one was never able to achieve this level of responsiveness.
- Thirdly, I sometimes experience surprising behaviors like the ones you describe (no effect, even with repeated clicks, wrong speed recalled, etc.). The countless firmware updates that have been applied in one year never changed a thing about that.

Recent Topics