Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS  (Read 2778 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: GPS
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 03:14:17 AM »
The rider will have to look at the bottom of the TFT screen for directions. I guess this would make it a heads-down display.  :155:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 09:02:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by tigercraig [+]
I use my iPhone with Waze as my GPS.   Integrates music, phone, and GPS via Bluetooth through my Cardo Scala.  RAM-X-Grip mounted to the handle bar.   Works for me.
How does it go when its raining?
Phones have a capacitive-sensitive screen.  A bike GPS has a touch-sensitive screen.

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 10:24:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
I fear you'll be disappointed. I can't see them finding enough space on the TFT to provide much more than the very basic "turn by turn" route info you describe. If Triumph wants to provide a proper SatNav/GPS it will have to be a separate unit with it's own dedicated screen like BMWs have.

Looking at the Triumph website this seems to be how it will look.  :084:

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 03:17:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
How does it go when its raining?
Phones have a capacitive-sensitive screen.  A bike GPS has a touch-sensitive screen.

I also use Waze on my phone but keep phone in my pocket and just use audio to Bluetooth speakers in helmet. Works perfectly for me and I can keep my eyes on the road at all times

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 06:52:56 PM »
I rely on my Google Maps when commuting to see where the traffic is. I have a Galaxy Note 9, before that I had a Galaxy S8. I had them on during downpours and freezing weather (< 30F) they are happily compliant and have no issues. I don't play around with the screen though.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline tigercraig

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 18’ XRT
  • City / Town: Amelia, OH
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 10:55:13 PM »
iPhone X is supposedly waterproof.   Have not really tested that yet.  I also have the phone in a water resistant case.  I don’t touch the phone while riding.  If I need to play with the screen, I pull over, take off a glove and have at it.  Everyone’s comfort level is different in regards to fiddling with electronics on the fly.  I don’t fiddle while riding.   
tigercraig
Gone-84' V45 Honda Sabre, 97' R11RT, 06' ST1300, 13' Triumph Explore
Current - 18’ XRT

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 03:01:37 AM »
My SGS9 is also supposedly waterproof.  I'd rather mount it exposed than in a case, because when I did that previously (with an SGS5), it overheated and stopped charging.

I've had one incident where I had to look up stuff on my phone in a drizzle.  It was a disaster, couldn't shield the phone from the rain and still see it, and the rain on the screen stuffed up the touch.  Something that's not a problem on a bike GPS.
I've tried navigating in strange places using voice directions alone, but I find a display in front of me adds a lot of info, eg which lane to be in to get the right highway/bridge exit or entrance, knowing if I miss it it will be many kms before I can get back to it.

Google maps on a phone is more functional and accurate than my Garmin 590, but the Garmin ergonomics are more suited on a bike, especially in rain.
And the Garmin is single minded.  An incoming phone call for example, will stuff up the navigation on the phone.  OK on a long rural straight, not so good in city traffic.

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 11:04:03 PM »
After persevering for a number of years with a phone, a few spells of rainy weather have persuaded me to buy a Tom Tom.

The rain was triggering the phone display to the extent that (randomly) a new destination point was added in Google Maps whilst I was riding, combined with the audio (Bluetooth) being turned off. I also had problems with charging due to damp (my Samsung complained it wanted the charging cable unplugged).

So proper bike sat nav it is! But I'll keep the phone mount as well whilst I work out the limitations of the Tom Tom.

Cheers
guiri

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 04:59:05 PM »
I tried the phone approach which has massive upsides but I found the battery drain with the screen being on all the time meant it needed a 2A power feed to be able to keep up with it, which (for an iPhone) isn't good for longevity of the battery.

I also suffered the issues many people have, with the phone getting so much direct sunlight it shut down.

I've gone with a TomTom Rider 400, had it 3 years nearly and aside from it not being the latest and greatest it's done me proud and never missed a beat.

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Wymondham
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 08:16:29 AM »
I sold my Garmin Zumo as I was getting fed up with its odd re-routes. I now use apps on my phone- 'Via Michelin' if I just want A-B, or 'MyRouteApp Navigation' to plot routes. The latter isn't free but it seems to work well and is really simple to use, either on the phone or PC to do the routes which then automatically appear in your app. It also has offline maps which work when there's no phone signal.

I have a Samsung S9+ so no issues with waterproofing, and I use gloves with touch sensitive stuff in the finger ends. Mount is a Quadlock.

At the minute I'm happier with this set up.

Recent Topics

nonskid