Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS  (Read 1400 times)

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
Re: GPS
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob [+]
I sold my Garmin Zumo as I was getting fed up with its odd re-routes.

Can you elaborate?
Were you using basecamp or using another like Tyre and transfering the GPX file?

When I used to use Tyre I had to import the gpx file into basecamp and study the route minutely to move to the right roads as the programmes dont use the same maps or algorythms in the routing.
Now got used to Basecamp thanks to some tuition from a pal and find it so easy to plot a route

Another issue I've had is in Basecamp you can set a profile for windy roads but my 660 does not use that profile
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 09:45:41 PM »
I've never used basecamp but MyRouteApp which I guess is similar. You can plan the route in Google Maps, Garmin Maps or Tom Tom maps and a few others to boot. I tend to use Google maps as the search function is easier, then when finished change it to Tom Tom map for saving.

One great feature is the ability to compare the made route with another map, e.g. TomTom route to the Garmin route. It highlights where the two manufacturers mapping algorithms differ. You can then modify these differences to make them identical and share the GPX file in the knowledge that any user in a group, be they a Tom Tom or Garmin user will all have an identical track.

Offline BarnsleyBob

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Wymondham
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 10:33:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
Can you elaborate?
Were you using basecamp or using another like Tyre and transfering the GPX file?

When I used to use Tyre I had to import the gpx file into basecamp and study the route minutely to move to the right roads as the programmes dont use the same maps or algorythms in the routing.
Now got used to Basecamp thanks to some tuition from a pal and find it so easy to plot a route

Another issue I've had is in Basecamp you can set a profile for windy roads but my 660 does not use that profile

I used Basecamp and to be honest, once I got used to its operating requirements, I never had an issue with it. You just have to remember that EVERYTHING has to match between Basecamp & the satnav unit; map edition, route preferences, avoidance etc.
My problems were more with the unit which I don't think was faulty, however when using it for simple A to B would often give some strange routes not consistent with the settings.

Rather than fork out several hundred quid for a newer unit I figured I'd just use phone apps and, so far so good. I get that the phone option isn't perfect but for what I need at the mo it works well. I have a USB socket on the bike to keep the phone charged so no issues there either.

I'll likely have another proper satnav at some point but might try Tomtom rather than Garmin next time.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:37:24 PM by BarnsleyBob »

Recent Topics