Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS  (Read 2769 times)

Offline richardst

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: harley
  • City / Town: smalltown
GPS
« on: June 23, 2019, 04:21:13 PM »
What kind of GPS are you using? I heard a rumor that Triumph is coming out with a downloadable to the TFT in the fall, anyone heard anything like that?

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: GPS
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 04:35:27 PM »
Yes a GPS module is due to be being released for those with the TFT screen, which I understand will also be able to be retro fitted to those who have the TFT screen as well. How this gets displayed though we have yet to see, hopefully Triumph will add to the overall displays available and have one display with minimised dials but maximised map. Not sure though, I did see a mock up recently (can't remember where) where it was just a small arrow and a distance towards the side of the existing screen(s) - hope its better than that

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 10:34:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
I did see a mock up recently (can't remember where) where it was just a small arrow and a distance towards the side of the existing screen(s) - hope its better than that

I fear you'll be disappointed. I can't see them finding enough space on the TFT to provide much more than the very basic "turn by turn" route info you describe. If Triumph wants to provide a proper SatNav/GPS it will have to be a separate unit with it's own dedicated screen like BMWs have.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 01:50:19 AM »
The BMWs I've seen just have a Garmin GPS that plugs on, not too dissimilar to my Zumo 590LM.
However the BMW version has more functionality (and costs more of course).

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 02:00:40 AM »
I just want my old GPS mount above the dash back. This is retarded. There have been a few hacks and a mods here that ain't workin' ... I want my machined aluminium and the chicks for free
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 05:48:29 AM »
My hack is workin', Icy (ally plate stuck on the plastic binnacle).  No chicks, but it was free (but not on MTV).

But I am interested in seeing what Triumph come up with for my dash.  Just hope it isn't too expensive, and doesn't bugger up the Bluetooth connectivity between my phone and my headset.  (But I suspect it will.)

I have a love-hate relationship with my Garmin 590LM.  Mostly it works, and it mostly worked in the hire car in New Zealand (except for stuffing up recording of our trip).
But sometimes it takes weird routes, and in some areas of Australia (eg north west), its search facility doesn't work.
Whenever I disconnect it from the bike, it isn't long before it reports low battery and goes to dim screen.  Been like that from new.
So my fallback is Google maps.  -Which of course brings with it all the problems of using a phone on a bike, especially in wet weather.

Since the bike's dash isn't touch sensitive, I can't see us getting much functionality from the rumoured Triumph GPS solution.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »
Due out late 2019, they are just going to use the information tray area. Some details here https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/tft-connectivity

No word on price yet but the dealer here mentions that Ducati charge about €200 for their version so it might not be much more for Triumph if they want to stay competitive. Having said that this one has GoPro connectivity (what version GoPro is unknown). It’ll come in useful for a quick point to point “get me to xyz location” from google maps on the phone. It won’t be much cop for a touring route Navigation but that’s nor what it is aiming for really. It'll be a nice upgrade if priced right.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]

But I am interested in seeing what Triumph come up with for my dash.  Just hope it isn't too expensive, and doesn't bugger up the Bluetooth connectivity between my phone and my headset.  (But I suspect it will.)

I suspect it will too but I'm not too sure it will be the fault of Triumph. My Tom Tom 550 works great with my Cardo headset, my iPhone 6S works great with my Cardo headset but not both at the same time. I can connect the Tom Tom and Phone to the Cardo headset at the same time, but the result is very poor quality sound. Bluetooth versions seem to be key and the old iPhone is a bit of a laggard now and I believe that is the weak link. I know there is the options to pair the phone with the Tom Tom and have all comms to the Cardo via the Tom Tom only which gets around this but the Apple seems too old to get this to work properly. So now I leave my Tom Tom unconnected from the Cardo and just use visuals.
I think the Triumph system will work well on spoken directions so getting the audio to work would be a bit of a priority I would think, it might be phone dependent.

Offline MTH

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Stord
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
My hack is workin', Icy (ally plate stuck on the plastic binnacle).  No chicks, but it was free (but not on MTV).

I have a love-hate relationship with my Garmin 590LM.  Mostly it works, and it mostly worked in the hire car in New Zealand (except for stuffing up recording of our trip).
But sometimes it takes weird routes, and in some areas of Australia (eg north west), its search facility doesn't work.
Whenever I disconnect it from the bike, it isn't long before it reports low battery and goes to dim screen.  Been like that from new.
So my fallback is Google maps.  -Which of course brings with it all the problems of using a phone on a bike, especially in wet weather.

Since the bike's dash isn't touch sensitive, I can't see us getting much functionality from the rumoured Triumph GPS solution.

I have a fix foor the low battery problem. Check out this link:http://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2&sid=85a8c2358a908b7a6938f371d3586ec7
I tried this myself and it worked great.

Offline tigercraig

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 18’ XRT
  • City / Town: Amelia, OH
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 12:42:14 AM »
I use my iPhone with Waze as my GPS.   Integrates music, phone, and GPS via Bluetooth through my Cardo Scala.  RAM-X-Grip mounted to the handle bar.   Works for me. 
tigercraig
Gone-84' V45 Honda Sabre, 97' R11RT, 06' ST1300, 13' Triumph Explore
Current - 18’ XRT

Recent Topics