Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 3 rear drive check  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
Re: Gen 3 rear drive check
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 04:36:03 PM »
After checking again last night. In first gear with the slack taken up in the gearing there in no more movement. So I’m thinking all is good

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 06:58:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Vin829 [+]
After checking again last night. In first gear with the slack taken up in the gearing there in no more movement. So I’m thinking all is good
:028:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 10:44:58 PM »
There you go.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 05:46:24 PM »
It seems people are checking two different things here.  One is rotational play, i.e. drive line play.  The other is bearing play within the rear drive hub, i.e. lateral movement of the wheel/bearing, NOT rotational.  Pretty much any drive shaft vehicle is going to have some amount of rotational movement or play due to spacing in gears, right angle turns in the drive system etc.  However, if one is looking for lateral play in the hub, that, to my way of thinking, should be non-existent or very close to it.

Anyway, wanted to add something further to this discussion.  Was riding with a mate this past week who has a 2014 Tex XC with about 40k miles.  We came to a stop, I pulled away, but he suddenly lost all forward drive.  First thing that came to mind was failure of the metalastic joint.  Upon further examination by the dealer, turns out the rear drive unit failed.  Not only that, but the wheel was wobbling probably 2 inches laterally.  Dealer said the only thing holding the wheel on at that point was the brake caliper and rear disc.  What the heck could fail that catastrophically!

He's bought a used unit since the dealer wanted $2700 to fix this.  We'll swap it out when it arrives.  Quick question, are there any threads dealing with DIY removing the rear drive, tried searching, couldn't find anything and don't have access to a shop manual?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:49:31 PM by pcarnut »
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 08:40:38 PM »
Not sure that's quite right. There is some 'wobble' play in the rear bearing, but it's taken up by the drive line torque - and it's supposed to be.
If you put the transmission in gear take up the backlash and there is STILL wobble in the rear wheel then your bearing has gone. If not then it's as it's supposed to be.  Now you're going to ask why on earth there is any 'wobble' play in the bearing in the first place to be measured in this way - ahh well you have me there. I've no idea.

The rear drive is a bevel gear therefore when on drive, there is some lateral force in the rear spindle. Perhaps this free play is something to do with that. But be assured that the two are inter related and not two separate things at all.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 10:12:36 PM »
I should of course have said helical cut gear which is what puts the side loading on the shaft.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 05:36:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
He's bought a used unit since the dealer wanted $2700 to fix this.  We'll swap it out when it arrives.  Quick question, are there any threads dealing with DIY removing the rear drive, tried searching, couldn't find anything and don't have access to a shop manual?
Here is one:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,12566.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 09:22:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Fantastic, thank you!!!!  Looks very do-able.
Anyone know the torque setting process for the inner pivot bearing?  Can't imagine it's very much, just enough to remove play.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:57:31 PM by pcarnut »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 02:23:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
Fantastic, thank you!!!!  Looks very do-able.
Anyone know the torque setting process for the inner pivot bearing?  Can't imagine it's very much, just enough to remove play.
From the OEM Service Manual:

Tighten the pivot pins in the sequence described below:

a) tighten the left-hand pivot pin to 100 Nm

b) tighten the right-hand pivot pin to 48 Nm

c) lubricate the threads of the locking ring with a smear of proprietary high-temperature copper-based grease then fit to the right-hand pivot pin and tighten to 100 Nm

d) tighten the torque arm bolt and lock nut to 48 Nm.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 05:45:06 AM »
 :152: Perfect, thank you!

Recent Topics

nonskid