Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800xca to Tex or visa-versa  (Read 1099 times)

Offline BIG BILL

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer Xc
Tiger 800xca to Tex or visa-versa
« on: July 10, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »
Hi all
Has anyone on here either moved from an 800xca the newer tft screen or had a Tex and moved to a 800 tft screen.
I was just wondering as I do find the wonderful Tex very heavy as I have arthritis in my knees that is slowly getting worse.
I do have to say mind I love this bike so much it would have to be amazing, that's why I am asking if they are similar (not power obviously)
I know I can test ride one but really would like any input from long term owners.

Cheers for any replies.

BB
Explorer Xc 2014
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bloody thing (Barry Sheene)

Offline Number14

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph
  • City / Town: Fareham
Re: Tiger 800xca to Tex or visa-versa
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 06:42:48 AM »
 I had a Mk1 Explorer and recently moved to a n 800 XRt with tft.

Don’t miss the Explorer as much as I thought I would except that I don’t find the 800 seat as comfy as the Explorer.

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »
Big Bill,

I currently have both a 2013 Trophy and a 2015 Explorer XC, I turned 66 this week and realize that with the aftermarket parts installed in me and old age, it is getting to be that time to go lighter.  I see the Tiger 800 to be my ideal choice given the power to weight ratio it offers.

I am no little guy 240 Pounds (110 Kilos) but I am only 5 feet 10 inches with a short (29 Inch) inseam.  I was able to ride both the Trophy and Explorer after installing Lust Lowering links on both bikes.  I would like to do this on either a 800 XRT or XCA.

Therefore, I am also interested in others' thoughts on moving to the Tiger 800.

Ride Safe,

ZShyster

Offline Fazer

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Tyneside
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 05:50:31 PM »
I bought my TEx new in 2015 when I was 68 years old. I’m thinking of changing my bike and have considered a Tiger 800XRT. However, I’m concerned that I might regret downsizing so I’m going to test ride a new Tiger 1200XRT on Tuesday. I’m not a big bloke, just 1.7m/75kg (that’s 5’7””/ 11.5st in old money) so the TEx is a large beast for me but I love riding it.

I had a test ride on the 800 late last year and really liked it but didn’t go ahead and change then. I would ideally like to test ride the 800 and 1200 back-to-back so I can decide whether downsizing would suit me. Unfortunately, my nearest dealer has loaned out his 800 demonstrator long term so I can’t do that on Tuesday.

I’ll report on Tuesday evening to let you know what I thought after riding the new 1200. Big Bill, I see you’re in the same part of the world as me so I guess you probably use the same Triumph dealer i.e. Triumph Newcastle. Maybe we could meet up and compare thoughts about downsizing.

Cheers Dave

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 12:46:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Fazer [+]
However, I’m concerned that I might regret downsizing so I’m going to test ride a new Tiger 1200XRT on Tuesday.
Oh dear. I think I know how this is going to turn out.

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 11:54:03 AM »
Fazer,

:020: 

You are the man, by my math that makes you 72 years old and still pushing around this top heavy behemoth we all love and hate.  God has blessed you.  I, as I mentioned above, am seriously contemplating losing a 100+ pounds of motorcycle.  I rarely do the 500+ mile days any more and maneuvering the bike parking lots or in the garage has become more and more challenging.

Again, you are the man, I hope to still be riding at 72, in fact I told my wife the other day, that at 75 I will give up the bikes and buy a convertible so she can come with.  (She will not get on a motorcycle.)

Ride Safe  :821:

ZShyster

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 12:58:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZShyster [+]
Fazer,

:020: 

You are the man, by my math that makes you 72 years old and still pushing around this top heavy behemoth we all love and hate.  God has blessed you.  I, as I mentioned above, am seriously contemplating losing a 100+ pounds of motorcycle.  I rarely do the 500+ mile days any more and maneuvering the bike parking lots or in the garage has become more and more challenging.

Again, you are the man, I hope to still be riding at 72, in fact I told my wife the other day, that at 75 I will give up the bikes and buy a convertible so she can come with.  (She will not get on a motorcycle.)

Ride Safe  :821:

ZShyster

:821: :821: :821:

Here's to all the old-timers here. Love you all.
 :305:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
Hi!

I made the change, from 1200XC to 800XCA and I can say I am absolutly happy with it. Less weight, more offroad capabilities, enough power... I was concerned about:

- 21'' front tyre. Much better when out of tarmac, no more problems on it. I am going just as fast or slow as I was.
- Less power. Well, 95HP are enough for me. Big power is funny but... How many times do you use it?
- Comfort. It's the same, more or less. 800 it's a really good travel bike.

But after a couple of trips I can say I really, really like the 800.  :047:

I'm a near-hobbit person (1'69 meters, 63kg) and the lower weight is incredible. Handling is much better and the 800-tri feeling is great.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 02:42:50 PM »
OK, hands up those who own an 800 and ride two-up long distance.
That is why I still have a T1200.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 03:39:20 PM »
Having test ridden the T800XRT for 48 hours (last year, so kinda back-to-back with my then '14 Tex), I found that it's absolutely brilliant!

What prevented me from downsizing:
- TORQUE: it's a capital decision point to me (pun intended ;-). The T800 isn't anemic by any means, but really the T12 torque is something else.
- Road presence: I'm surrounded twice a day by utterly subpar QIed cagers and I prefer looking big to them. However, it could all be in my head.
- Chain: I'm on my third big Tiger and no I won't go back to chain-driven bikes. I simply don't have time to maintain it.
- Comfort: the T800XRT is slightly (if not marginally) less comfortable than the T12, but really I'm nitpicking here (or am I NiKpitting?).

If you can live with a chain and less torque (power is for top speed, which is not even in my mind), go for the T800. No doubt.

Recent Topics