Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 3 Exhaust on Gen 1 TEX  (Read 1392 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Gen 3 Exhaust on Gen 1 TEX
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Aryeh56 [+]
I actually am in the US and have a Gen 1 exhaust to get rid of. Unfortunately, I'm on the wrong coast, so only marginally closer than the UK.  :034:
Then I guess, go see your local T dealer. They should be able to get them at that price.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 06:48:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by davidz0241 [+]
Anybody know if this would work. I'm going to be replacing my can because of a failure of the welds that hold it to the frame. Might go with a new version if it fits. Arrow is a bit out of my price range... Quiet is good anyways.

P.S. If anyone has a deal on a can, I'd be happy to take a look. I definitely need one.

you can have mine for the cost of shipping.... I took it off my 2014 when it had  less than 1000 miles on it...its  shipping from NJ so probably about 50 bucks....

Offline davidz0241

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Bellingham
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 02:51:15 AM »
If I can obtain the Arrow unit for approx 280 I will go that route, otherwise I'd be willing to pay shipping on the heavy as heck stock unit. I suppose I can give a call to Triumph of Seattle about the matter. I have not seem them that low, I see them for lowest around 450-500. I'm also right on the Canadian border so don't mind going over there if I have to. I assume the addition of a Arrow exhaust mandates a new tune correct? I have tiger tool, is this something I can apply via the tool?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:04:01 AM by davidz0241 »

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by davidz0241 [+]
I assume the addition of a Arrow exhaust mandates a new tune correct? I have tiger tool, is this something I can apply via the tool?
There are two versions of the Arrow exhaust for the Explorers in Canada. One is 'track only' and comes with an updated map that the dealer installs.

The far more common version is the street version. This one does not require a map, just do the 12-minute tune-up after installing the new can (start the engine from cold, don't touch the throttle, let it idle until the cooling fan comes on, then start timing for an additional 12 minutes, then key off without touching the throttle).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
There are two versions of the Arrow exhaust for the Explorers in Canada. One is 'track only' and comes with an updated map that the dealer installs.

The far more common version is the street version. This one does not require a map, just do the 12-minute tune-up after installing the new can (start the engine from cold, don't touch the throttle, let it idle until the cooling fan comes on, then start timing for an additional 12 minutes, then key off without touching the throttle).

2018+ I think there is only one Arrow can, in the US anyway.  I was going to take the baffle out of mine when I looked inside and it is a straight pipe to the inlet.  I don't know how I could get more flow out of it unless I totally removed it.   I imagine that 80% of the muffling of the sound is happening in the cat.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 10:59:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
2018+ I think there is only one Arrow can, in the US anyway.  I was going to take the baffle out of mine when I looked inside and it is a straight pipe to the inlet.  I don't know how I could get more flow out of it unless I totally removed it.   I imagine that 80% of the muffling of the sound is happening in the cat.
You are assuming "more flow" is a good thing too, that is not necessarily the case. Good engine gas flow depends on a certain amount of back pressure. Opening up the exhaust can reduce engine performance quite nicely.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 01:57:58 AM »
2018+ I think there is only one Arrow can, in the US anyway.  I was going to take the baffle out of mine when I looked inside and it is a straight pipe to the inlet.  I don't know how I could get more flow out of it unless I totally removed it. I imagine that 80% of the muffling of the sound is happening in the cat.

I know I've mentioned this before in a couple of different threads, so at the risk of sounding redundant, before I installed a Scorpion can on my '12 model, I ran it for a minute or so coming straight out of the cat. I didn't have a sound meter to check it, but I swear it wasn't any louder or any different tone than with the debaffled Scorpion installed. If anyone wants to get a lot of sound out of the 1215 engine, they're going to have to decat it...
Jon

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 04:23:34 PM »
I think that the OP is riding an Explorer XC.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2019, 05:45:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
You are assuming "more flow" is a good thing too, that is not necessarily the case. Good engine gas flow depends on a certain amount of back pressure. Opening up the exhaust can reduce engine performance quite nicely.

That is true but I am going off of the normal occurrence of any EPA/EURO# mandated vehicle is not suffering from a case of too much flow.    :002:

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 05:46:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
I know I've mentioned this before in a couple of different threads, so at the risk of sounding redundant, before I installed a Scorpion can on my '12 model, I ran it for a minute or so coming straight out of the cat. I didn't have a sound meter to check it, but I swear it wasn't any louder or any different tone than with the debaffled Scorpion installed. If anyone wants to get a lot of sound out of the 1215 engine, they're going to have to decat it...

When I had a S1000XR there were people just straight piping them out of the cat because it muffled them so much.  The muffler was more for aesthetics than function.

Recent Topics