Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: National Cycle Windscreens  (Read 608 times)

Offline kokbaba

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '14 Tex - "Big Blue"
  • City / Town: Milwaukee WI
National Cycle Windscreens
« on: July 15, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
After 5 years It finally happened-  :110: I had my 1st tipover with the Tex.  Maneuvering on a grass motorcycle parking area with wifey on board, I lost my footing on an off-camber spot & down we went.  Good news is we are both fine, bad news is that I knocked a $$$ late model Harlee over!  I think my windscreen struck his floorboard & that caused his tipover.  His damage is no more than a scratched fairing (I have insurance for that) and I need a new windscreen.
I have always been happy with the OEM std. windscreen, set to the highest position.  To save about $100 over ordering a replacement OEM unit, I'm looking at the VStream Sport Replacement Screen (model #N20603, OEM height) from National Cycle, Maywood IL, USA.  Does anyone here have any experience with or opinion of this company or their products to enlighten me?  Greatly appreciated & ride (manuever) safe!

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
Re: National Cycle Windscreens
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »
Oh brother, so sorry to hear that. TEX is a sturdy bike, thank the spaghetti monster in the sky for that. And you are fine that's even better news!

No clue about the windscreen but I am sure somebody would chime in. I just wanted to do my wishing well part  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 11:35:56 AM »
kokbaba,

I actually have 5 of their products, all three made for the Triumph Trophy and the N20604 and N20605 made for the TEX.  I felt the N20603 was so similar to the original it made no difference and would not provide any improvement.  In reality, I never use the Sport (short) on on the Trophy or the original on the TEX as I like a little protection which the short VStream and the original TEX really does not offer.  I switch the medium and tall out based on temperature and the length of my riding days.  Hot days I go shorter, and cold and very long days go taller.

I find their products to be of excellent quality and durability.  They clean easily and provide reasonable protection.

Note that although the Trophy models mount using the original mounting method, the TEX models use different mount provided with the windscreen.  The only difficulty I had mounting on the TEX is that it helps to have a stubby allen wrench set.

If you choose to  go with the VStream, do not be impatient, keep your eyes open on ebay and other internet sites and you can sometimes get some real deals.

Ride Safe,

ZShyster

Offline kokbaba

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »
Thanks ZShyster, really appreciate your input. (Also thanks Icy for your well wishes)  For whatever reason, the OEM windscreen in the max height position has worked well for me, sending the windstream just above my helmet.  So I'm hoping the Nat'l. Cycle version will do the same, as I prefer the look of the shorter screen.  It is a bit wider than the stock screen too.  I'll be watching ebay etc. for deals & report back.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 04:40:43 PM »
My solution was the two-piece Kappa/Givi screen for the TEX. The split-screen allows easy 5-second height adjustment from the saddle, or you can remove the top half entirely on a hot day.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline kokbaba

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
Update- I found the VStream windscreen on ebay for $198; manufacturers' retail is $220.  Purchased & installed, quality is excellent.  After riding about 300 miles I am pleased with the product.  At highway speeds above 75mph it does throw a bit more air at the top of my helmet, but I try to avoid the Interstate highways as much as possible.  At 45 - 75mph wher I usually ride, its quieter & throws more air around both me & my wife.  Were I to plan for a long highway trip, I would likely consider one of the taller screens, but overall I'm happy with my purchase. :028:

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 02:46:28 PM »
Glad to here you are both ok.
Eastern air must be different than western air because there’s no way that stock wind screen worked for me. Maybe my height is the problem, I’m 6’4”.

Recent Topics