Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: USB connection for satnav  (Read 318 times)

Offline Azguk

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Dublin
USB connection for satnav
« on: July 17, 2019, 09:27:41 AM »
Hi,
My satnav is powered by connecting two wires directly to the battery terminals and while that works, it means that there is always a live connection. It has worked for the last few years but when I stop the bike I have to take the satnav out of the cradle to stop it draining the battery. Turning it off does not help as it then recharges.
Now that I have my new tiger with USB sockets under the seat I was wondering if it is possible to put a USB connection on the end of the wires instead of the battery so all I have to do is disconnect the USB?

I tried cutting open a USB lead but the wires are completely different, doesn't look like I can simply join wires and insulate them with tape.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: USB connection for satnav
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »
USB voltage is 5 volts with a maximum draw of 2.5 watts, so I don't think it will work at all if your satnav is a 12-volt appliance. They are completely different.

Most people use a switched 12volt power source for the satnav or install a relay to cut the power when the key is off.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline MTH

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Stord
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:12:36 PM »
Beneath the rear seat is a USB connector. I tapped into the wires and it all worked fine. Garmin Zumo 590.
Tiger 1200 2018.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:14:53 PM by MTH »

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 02:14:12 AM »
Presumably you tapped into the 12v side, not the 5v side, of the USB connector?

My Garmin Zumo 590LM is permanently wired to juice via the front Hella socket.  I normally remove my GPS if the bike is idle for long periods, but normally I just turn it off.
Yes it will charge its battery from the bike, but once its charged, the current draw is minimal.
Once, I've left the GPS on and it flattened the bike battery (I think that is what did it).  That was in my garage, so no real drama.

The advantage of permanent power to the GPS is that if you are tracking a ride on the GPS, it doesn't start a new track each time you stop for a coffee, fuel, toilet stop etc, if you just leave the GPS on.  I often map rides from the GPS's track record.  Its stuffed up on me only the once, when I was in New Zealand.  A lot of the 'track' was in the sea at one location.  Memory wasn't full, don't know what happened. (I was using it in a car.)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
Presumably you tapped into the 12v side, not the 5v side, of the USB connector?
:0461:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics