Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Keyfob spec  (Read 1430 times)

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Re: Keyfob spec
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 03:07:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Like Peter Parker's uncle said, "With great complexity comes great irritability."
That shouldn't and doesn't have to be the case.
Computers in all our devices are getting smaller and smarter so they can take away the complexity in our lives.
They just have to do it well, not add to the complexity we see.
TSAS is an example (when it doesn't give errors).

Who among us yearns to go back to manually setting the timing advance and choke in our vehicles?  Not me.  I even stick with automatic in my cars.  Probably will take it for granted if/when my motorbike has it too.

There are limits though.  I don't have  a smart speaker in my house, don't use Bixby/Google assistant on my smartphone, and I will be uncomfortable when my car continually phones home, as some do now.
Now to get back to programming the code to display my home weatherstation data...  (I have a WH2950 sending to my website.)  Some complexity in my life is a hobby.   :002:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2019, 02:58:45 PM »
Simply put, complexity can kill people when it is not managed properly. As a veteran of the software industry, I know that the more variables you introduce, the more difficult it is to test (and document) all of the possible systemic interactions. Witness the recent 737 Max 8 disasters.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 09:56:50 AM »
Here is some quick reading for those interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_conservation_of_complexity

Simply put: complex actions can be dealt either by the user or the software. In the latter case, the program complexity increases, thus making chances of errors higher.

I often remind everyone what someone once said: we were promised computers as simple to use as a telephone; what we now have is phones as complex to use as computers ;-)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2019, 10:04:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]

I often remind everyone what someone once said: we were promised computers as simple to use as a telephone; what we now have is phones as complex to use as computers ;-)
  :0461: Too true Nik!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »
  :008:  :019:  Too true.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2019, 03:04:44 AM »
I must admit that there are times when I miss the era of points and carburetors, particularly when something is not working right. That stuff I could repair or jury rig to get home. The new stuff goes down and you are at the mercy of whatever mechanic gets ahold of the bike. The more complex the bike, the more can wrong with it. However, I do remember Lucas (to be kind, I will use the word) stuff, both on Triumphs and BSA's, so simpler was not necessarily the best. Just can't win for losing, hell even my dirt bike is computers and EFI.  :745:

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »
 :0461: .....and every shade tree mechanics would too! Modern stuff is more reliable but when it does fail somewhere remote you're completely stuffed!

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2019, 11:56:31 AM »

:745: :028: brilliantly said.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Recent Topics