Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GoPro mounting points on the front  (Read 298 times)

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
GoPro mounting points on the front
« on: July 30, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »
Hi all,

I know mounting a GoPro has been discussed before but it seems most options discussed were mounting to the bars or the mirrors which I'm not keen on due to the amount of vibration.

I've just bought the Hero 7 Black and helmet mounted it's brilliant and the HyperSmooth stablisation is just awesome, however it would be nice to have a front mounted position that isn't on a flimsy piece of plastic and the Explorer has such angular lines it's difficult.

The curved sticky mount directly in the centre of the screen at the bottom doesn't sit flush as the curve is too acute so I've gone slightly off centre so now I need to find a way to mount it on an angle, which I have an idea.

Anyone found any other nice frontal positions? Am off to the Pyrenees soon and it would be nice to have a unobstructed smooth view of the road.

Offline Crosshairs

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: OCEANPORT
Re: GoPro mounting points on the front
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
I have my Virb mounted under the beak.....works wonderfully

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 10:18:46 PM »
I have a curved sticky mount on the fender right between the forks, but have not tried it yet.

I also have  a clamp style  mount on my upper crash  ars that works really well.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 10:40:14 PM »
I used the upper crash bars

"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 07:43:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by peejay1977 [+]
Hi all,

I know mounting a GoPro has been discussed before but it seems most options discussed were mounting to the bars or the mirrors which I'm not keen on due to the amount of vibration.

I've just bought the Hero 7 Black and helmet mounted it's brilliant and the HyperSmooth stablisation is just awesome, however it would be nice to have a front mounted position that isn't on a flimsy piece of plastic and the Explorer has such angular lines it's difficult.

The curved sticky mount directly in the centre of the screen at the bottom doesn't sit flush as the curve is too acute so I've gone slightly off centre so now I need to find a way to mount it on an angle, which I have an idea.

Anyone found any other nice frontal positions? Am off to the Pyrenees soon and it would be nice to have a unobstructed smooth view of the road.

OT: Don't you find it's too much stabilized? Quality is OK, but when watching the videos, I find it so much stabilized that you "miss" part of the action... I mean, you don't realize the terrain you are riding in...

Offline triumphpip

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 09:51:34 AM »
I mounted mine on top of spot light guard . Very stable
[]D[][]D

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 11:19:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by triumphpip [+]
I mounted mine on top of spot light guard . Very stable
Excellent idea.
I have an old GoPro 4 which will take a USB to GoPro 4 cable to permanently power it from a powerbank in my pocket when on the side of my helmet, saves stopping for multiple battery swaps.
An alternative to that then is powering the GoPro from the rear USB socket up to the front spotlight guard as you are using. As the power draw is low this will work unlike with some Sat Nav’s powered this way.
Cheers for the idea.

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 11:28:30 AM »

This is a standard GoPro overgrown cable-tie mount, tied to the indicator stalk.

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »
Thanks chaps, sadly I don't have fogs or upper crash bars  :006:

Hopefully my theory will work and it'll be stable but I've ordered some tethers to hopefully mitigate the risk of it being out front and being knocked loose.

Also Lopez, I do get what you mean about the "too much stablisation", I personally like it, the movements are smooth but some could argue it removes some of the "action" from the video, but considering it'll be a pretty sedate ride I'm hoping it'll look smooth and show off the beautiful scenery.

Got some test footage the other day, it reminded me just how much the wide point of view makes things look like they are either really close or far away, like at the beginning it looks like I'm right on top of the car but in reality I was nowhere near it lol

Recent Topics