Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First trip to the Pyreees - Recommendations  (Read 373 times)

Online peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
First trip to the Pyreees - Recommendations
« on: July 30, 2019, 04:37:45 PM »
Hi all,

This year is mine and my wife's 3rd trip to France on the bike so I've got the usual covered. But this is our first time to the Pyrenees.

We didn't book the ferry til late due to work commitments so we have had to settle for the 2 night Portsmouth to Bilbao sailing. So far we have a hotel booked in Bagneres-de-Luchon for 2 nights, the loose plan being arrive there the first night, then go out and explore the following day and stay over again.

We need to then head north to eventually end up in Pontivy as her brother has a house there so we are planning to stay for the last couple of nights before our St Malo crossing back.

We haven't booked any other hotels as yet, was going to book on the day and see where we end up.

So far, I've found some good sights with recommended routes but the Pyrenees is larger than we have time to see in full so was wondering what people recommend?

Also we will be roughly heading up the west coast so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
Re: First trip to the Pyreees - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »
If you've got time take the col de erroymendi from Larrau on the d26 that becomes the na2011 then the na140 across to the na172 and head to Pamplona.
Take a day off to enjoy the city and see where the bulls run. A good hotel with underground secure parking in the city centre is the Maisonnave http://www.hotelmaisonnave.es/
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Lopez

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: XC
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 07:44:48 AM »
Go further down and come to Madrid to have a beer  :821:

Online peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
Well aside from a few niggles with the bike itself the trip was a success. Got to Bilbao, headed over to Pau then picked up the nice roads. Did the Col Du Tourmalet and into Luchon where we stayed for 2 nights. Did the Spanish Pyrenees and dipped into Andorra then headed up to Bordeaux, La Rochelle and to my brother in laws for 4 days. Managed to get some good pics but also some GoPro footage.

Disclaimer - If you're expecting tyre screeching action then you're gonna be disappointed. I was 2 up, fully loaded and just enjoying the scenery lol

Recent Topics