Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlight Bulb Replacement  (Read 486 times)

Offline Uncleal

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2015 Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Snohomish
Headlight Bulb Replacement
« on: July 30, 2019, 09:42:00 PM »
Does anybody have experience with replacing the headlight bulbs? It's an straightforward task but I can't get enough fingers in the housing to both hold the bulb in place and reattach the retaining clip. There must be a trick or something else I can remove to make access easier. Profanity doesn't seem to help.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
Re: Headlight Bulb Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 10:38:26 PM »
Nope, you simply gotta work it. I replaced the lightbulbs with LEDs and it was a pain in the neck to open the cover, fit those things in with the heatsink and whatnot and close it up.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Uncleal

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 11:01:11 PM »
I was afraid of that. Maybe I'll take it to my dentist. She has small hands and is used to tight quarters like that. She's probably cheaper than the dealer's shop rate too.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 12:36:03 AM »
I replaced my bulbs with the retina burning Cyclops bulbs and it was pretty easy.
Look for a video, it’s out there. I’m a visual learner like most of us....it really helped.

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 01:51:51 AM »
+1 for Cyclops LEDs.
A bit fiddly, but no real drama.
Outstanding light output, and my bike has sailed through the last 2 MoTs with hem.

Phil
 :152:

Offline Uncleal

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 03:49:36 AM »
A bit like building a ship in a bottle but I did it. Icy's right, you just gotta work it. That deserves a beer!

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca

Offline daveejayuk

• Explorer Member
  • Boss Tha'
  • Bike: Land Rover green XC
  • City / Town: merseyside
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
Swapped my OE bulbs out for LED units at the weekend - had considered going the HID route as I had with previous bikes, and true to form the LED kit i got had mini igniter (as was with HID sets) boxes with them.
Dug out the Dremel and decided to remove housing to tackle it properly and to use cable ties to secure the igniters behind hte headlight housing with suitable grommets sourced to keep water out wher i had had to drill for cable routing..... and then saw the linked video where the igniters and everything fit inside the headlamp housing, was a bit nervous of potential heat issues as the LED bulbs have big heat sinks on them, but no issues to date.
Still uneasy over a small amount of colied wire and the igniter type boxes and the heatsinks all in the small space behind the reflector, but not seen any reports of fires so far from anyone else and they are bright! Complement the replacement fog lights perfectly too.

Bought these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Led-Headlight-Triumph-Tiger-Explorer-1200-1215-XC-XRX-H4-H-L-Kit-Conversion/173850852659?fits=UKM_Make%3ATriumph%7CUKM_StreetName%3AExplorer&hash=item287a517d33:g:xN8AAOSw1RVaZyF~  had used seller before for HIDs in the past so knew would be quality kit. (i added to my watch list, forgot about them and recoeved an offer of 15 quid off 48 hours later)

Xc with factory mats, green furry dice on rear view mirror and acrylic fur seat covers. Saving for drainpipe exhaust and mud flaps.

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 05:03:32 AM »
Another +1 for the Cyclops  bulbs.

2 years and no issues.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 08:32:56 AM »
Did it numerous time on numerous bikes. Always a PITA.
I have fairly thick fingers (nothing but thumbs) and cumbersome hands (two left ones).

Takes around 30 min each time. In the end, my hands are scratched all over, dirty, my fingers hurt and even if profanity doesn't provide actual operational improvement, it clearly releases internal pressure. So keep children and churchmen away and prepare yourself to push your personal limits ;-)

Recent Topics