Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low Seat modification  (Read 468 times)

Offline Chromehead_UK

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XRX Low
  • City / Town: Corsham
Low Seat modification
« on: July 31, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
I have a 2016 low XRX with low seat that is still a wee bit too tall. Has anyone removed a seat cover and resculpted the seat to remove a bit more seat padding?  Not too sure how much foam there is to play with. Wife says I should just get Cuban heels🤣

Offline pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
Re: Low Seat modification
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 12:59:44 PM »
Mate of mine had the same problem. He spoke with Tony Archer and he said he wouldn't do it because there is very little foam to play with and it would be like sitting on a plank of wood afterwards.
He ended up going to the Altberg factory in North Yorkshire and buying a pair of boots with a extra 10mm added to the sole.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 01:06:26 PM by pug27 »

Offline Chromehead_UK

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XRX Low
  • City / Town: Corsham
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
Thanks for the info. Looks like boots are the way to go - I’ll find a pair of 1970’s glam rock boots from a charity shop! :745:

Offline pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer
  • City / Town: Thirsk
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 03:06:33 PM »
These should do it :164:

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 03:36:11 PM »
 :745: :745: :745: :745:
*Originally Posted by pug27 [+]
These should do it :164:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 04:27:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chromehead_UK [+]
I have a 2016 low XRX with low seat that is still a wee bit too tall. Has anyone removed a seat cover and resculpted the seat to remove a bit more seat padding?  Not too sure how much foam there is to play with. Wife says I should just get Cuban heels🤣
I have not done any sculpting on mine, but I did sculpt my wife's V-strom seat. I bought a cheap electric carving knife (meant to carve roasts) which was very good for removing slim slices over contours. Used an air stapler and stainless staples to reinstall the seat cover. Worked out quite well (you could not tell from looking at it).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 06:18:53 PM »
I took mine apart to put more padding in! Still wasn't comfortable. Taking some out is likely to be excruciating.

Online TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 08:15:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by pug27 [+]
Mate of mine had the same problem. He spoke with Tony Archer and he said he wouldn't do it because there is very little foam to play with and it would be like sitting on a plank of wood afterwards.
He ended up going to the Altberg factory in North Yorkshire and buying a pair of boots with a extra 10mm added to the sole.

Altberg are fantastic boots. I had a pair made to order. But the altberg boots I now wear are the police issue tall lace up boots. I mention this because I find that the much improved ankle support really helps me feel secure when I don’t have a flat foot on the ground. Hope that helps. You won’t regret buying Altberg and they will last forever.

The factory shop gets busy. Book a slot.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »
Perhaps a bit of training and practice?

Jocelin Snow
Vertically challenged riders clinic at the Touratech-USA Rally in Plain, WA. Be the boss of your bike, don’t let it be the boss of you.

Offline texmix

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: Antwerp
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 06:35:05 AM »
I too had some issues with the height. I had some padding removed in the width so your feet go down quicker effectively shortening the distance to the ground. I also had a lower  OE seat but the difference in height with my pillion just looked ridiculous. Hence the option to reduce the width just on the front side of the bike. Very happy with the result.
Also you can buy the daytona boots, https://www.daytona.de/en/index.php?section=mediadir&cmd=detail&lid=1&eid=85, that are higher on the inside at the rear. Like an inner heel if you like and that too helped to stabilise the bike coming to a halt.
Last but not least if you put the rain mode on, your bike will lower itself too.
Enjoy the Explorer!

Recent Topics