Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Evotech Performance Triumph Tiger 1200 Sat Nav Mount 2018+  (Read 3197 times)

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
Evotech Performance Triumph Tiger 1200 Sat Nav Mount 2018+
« on: July 31, 2019, 02:04:46 PM »
I've created this topic aside from the more general Looking for Gen3 Tiger1200 high Sat nav mount one, for people looking for information specifically on the Evotech sat nav mount (first mentioned by XCaTel here).

The mount is sold in a number of variants (the main bracket is the same and there is an adapter plate depending on which variant you choose). I bought the TomTom one (I have a Rider 550).

The mount is fixed directly underneath the screen using the existing four bolts and therefore goes up and down with the screen. This has a number of implications...
  • There is not a lot of space behind the screen, and the TomTom theft solution for the Rider 550 is not operable (can't get the key in)
  • The angle of the sat nav changes as the screen goes up and down (for my liking, it points too "upwards" when the screen is in the highest position
  • On the lowest screen position, the bike TFT is obscured by the sat nav
  • There is the issue of vibrations (not assessed yet)
The adapter plate for the TomTom option is nicely machined, and replaces what would normally be a RAM ball...

This adapter plate is then fixed to the main bracket with three bolts (but there is no adjustability in the angle)...

This image gives an idea of how close the bracket gets to the binnacle when the screen is in the lowest position...

This image shows the screen in the highest position and also shows why the theft solution does not work, it might also give an indication of how the sat nav is pointing "upwards"...

Now...

For the issues mentioned above, I am going to convert the mount to a RAM ball and see what happens. This should allow me to use the theft solution, not block the bike TFT on the lowest screen position, and adjust the sat nav display angle when on the highest screen position - the only thing is whether it causes too much vibration with the extra length/mass of fittings (and maybe puts the sat nav too high).

Obviously, some of my issues are due to my riding position and my height, your mileage may vary :305:

As an aside, if you are taking off the screen, have some M5 rubber washers handy, because the factory washers on my bike at least were sticky backed felt and didn't survive refitting.

Cheers
guiri

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
Re: Evotech Performance Triumph Tiger 1200 Sat Nav Mount 2018+
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
Very curious how the vibration will be. I have the free spirit mount and the screen in the high position makes the GPS unreadable. Ready to sh#t can the mount. Waste of $180

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Vin829 [+]
Very curious how the vibration will be. I have the free spirit mount and the screen in the high position makes the GPS unreadable. Ready to sh#t can the mount. Waste of $180

With the free spirit mount, is there flex? Or is it rigid and the vibration is likely in the original screen mounting? (there is no flex at all in the Evotech mount)

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 04:00:26 PM »
No the mount is solid and very well built. It’s just using the windscreen as a mounting point for a heavy Zumo is a bad idea

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
I am going to convert the mount to a RAM ball and see what happens.

That was a non-starter, it wasn't possible to get improved angles (and seemed like too much extra mass in the wrong place). When I went back to the bracket as designed, I realised how optimal the original is!

I did a little test ride and thought it was a bit shaky, but persevered yesterday on a long ride on mixed roads. Starting with low expectations, it actually grew on me.

I think the big issue for anybody is whether you can live with the vibrations, which are transmitted from the engine and suspension more than the buffeting of the screen.

The good news is that you can get almost no vibration if you are riding with the screen in the lowest position, because then the mount is "locked" down. Since it was so hot yesterday (for the UK meaning 25C) I was happy with the screen down to get some cooling, and the sat nav was perfect. I took the opportunity on a road with slow speed bumps to see the effect on the mount with the screen in the highest position, and it wasn't too bad (the screen mount is well damped in itself). There was a wobble of the sat nav but it settled down quickly.

The worst case scenario from the day was high speed (motorway) when I had the screen in the highest position. Then there was a lot of vibration, but I could still see the map and turn/lane guidance clearly. On balance, I think I would live with the vibration because for me it is preferable to glancing down to a handlebar mounted sat nav. However, it might get distracting on sustained motorway miles.

Cheers
guiri

Offline AngusR

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 05:46:12 PM »
I’ve also bought this GPS mount and agree with everything you’ve mentioned regarding the vibrations. I initially thought the movement would be too distracting, but I got used to it. I found the smaller details on the Tomtom were difficult to read but the main turn information is still readable. The mount puts the gps in the best position above the TFT Screen at the expense of some minor vibration; it’s just a shame Triumph have not developed a mount as per Mk1 and Mk2 that is more secure. I’m happy with it as an interim measure prior to testing the Google App once Triumph roll out their connectivity.

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 09:29:15 AM »
I've installed the mount upside down so I can still use the TomTom theft solution...

This also has the added benefit of providing somewhere to tuck the power cable connector!

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 09:38:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by AngusR [+]
I’ve also bought this GPS mount and agree with everything you’ve mentioned regarding the vibrations. I initially thought the movement would be too distracting, but I got used to it.

Thanks for the feedback AngusR!

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
I just ordered the mount for Garmin. Will report back.  :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]