Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Evotech Performance Triumph Tiger 1200 Sat Nav Mount 2018+  (Read 3181 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Evotech Performance Triumph Tiger 1200 Sat Nav Mount 2018+
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 02:48:28 PM »
Great write up Guiri. Not the perfect solution but probably the best "ready-made" one out there.  :047:

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »
@Guiri : Thank you for taking the trouble to do such a thorough appraisal, initially I thought the Evotech mount looked like the perfect solution but now I think my OCD would be stretched to breaking point by the vibrations and the varying screen angle though! Love your idea to turn the TomTom mount upside down, great example of 'thinking outside the box'.  :001:

Gotta say, the Ram mount contraption bundled with the TomTom rider is a 'monstrous carbuncle' © Prince Charles 1984, so I'm resorting to the Triumph accessory one, seems like the best of a bad lot for me.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 09:28:21 PM »
Thought sharing:
I have the Triumph Garmin mount and I find it extremely dangerous. I use my GPS as a digital map and the fact that I literally take my eyes off of the road and chin down to look at the GPS has caused many ooops moments for me. It's just not working out for me. I need the GPS back where it was, above the dash where my peripheral still stays where my spatial awareness needs be focused on - up ahead, not down below...

I have high expectations of this Evotech mount!  :800:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 11:14:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by jannerman [+]
initially I thought the Evotech mount looked like the perfect solution but now I think my OCD would be stretched to breaking point by the vibrations and the varying screen angle though!

You could try it at little risk, as Evotech say We guarantee your satisfaction. All of our products come with a 30-day no quibble guarantee.

I think we all agree the vibrations are not ideal but as Icy mentions, better to keep your eyes ahead!

And I do have an idea for reducing the vibrations...

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 10:20:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
You could try it at little risk, as Evotech say We guarantee your satisfaction. All of our products come with a 30-day no quibble guarantee.

I think we all agree the vibrations are not ideal but as Icy mentions, better to keep your eyes ahead!

And I do have an idea for reducing the vibrations...

Thanks for this, as both you and @Icy say, a higher mounting does seem like a markedly safer arrangement. That 30 day satisfaction guarantee is reassuring as things like vibration levels can be quite subjective and also have a fair amount of variation from bike to bike. So I think I’ll give it a go, especially as you figured out how to use the locking contraption with it 😀

Hope your idea to mitigate the vibration further works out too🤞
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:23:15 AM by jannerman »

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 11:05:40 AM »
I think I would put up with a certain amount of vibration at higher speeds as you mostly need the Navigation in slower built up areas where this solution seems to work well.  I would rather that eye level view as Icy says rather than taking my eyes off the road to look down.

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 06:50:34 PM »
Now ordered, delivery expected tomorrow  :152:

Offline glenn389

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Rawdon
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 07:35:45 PM »
Thanks to AngusR of this forum I now have an Evotech bracket for my Garmin 595. It was easy to fit and today I rode 166 miles to give it a test.
I have a Tiger 1200 XCA, which has the larger touring screen as standard.
When the screen is in its lowest position, the Garmin does obscure the top of the TFT screen. It is very stable even at speed, unless the road surface is poor, when there is a slight wobble/shake of the Garmin. When the screen is in its highest position, the wobble/shake is more pronounced, but it is still easily readable. I tend to ride with the screen set midway and under "normal" riding conditions, it is very good.
My Garmin was previously mounted on the left hand side of the handlebars. Although it was perfectly stable, I much prefer its new position on the Evotech bracket. I will be keeping it.

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 11:45:58 PM »
Right, just fitted Evotech mount tonight, only just finished the wiring, so haven't had time to take it out for a spin yet.

A few notes:
  • The bracket appears sturdy and very well finished, looks like a very professional job when fitted.
  • I don't know whether there's anything different about mine but I've managed to keep TomTom locking mechanism in place (right way up) and can operate the key lock OK, not a lot of room but just enough.
  • I'm 6'1" and have the seat on the highest setting. With the windscreen at it's lowest setting the TomTom does obscure the top of the TFT dash a bit but it can improved by adjusting the angle of the TFT, this doesn't affect me really because I always have the windscreen on the highest setting anyway.
  • The angle of the TomTom screen is nearest vertical when the windscreen is at it's lowest point (best), worst in the middle and good when it's at it's highest. The bracket seems to describe an arc through it's range of movement, rather than the linear motion I'd imagined it would.
  • I've extended the leads to the TomTom mount and connected them to a 2 pin socket in the tail that was formerly blanked off so that it's switched by the ignition.
  • I grabbed the TomTom mount and wrangled it around, the most movement (greatest slack) seems to be in the rotating part of the TomTom mount itself, not the windscreen or the bracket
  • Best of all, the TomTom itself seems to be in the perfect position for heads up riding, so big thank's to @guiri, @Icy and @XCaTel for their input.  :062:

I just need a chance to road test it now... hopefuly I won't be disappointed by the amount of vibration as everyone else seems to think it's manageable.  :001:

The pictures below attempt to show my eye level view sat on the bike looking at the TomTom (highest and lowest points) and with the TFT at midpoint in it's range of movement.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:48:37 PM by jannerman »

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 02:37:09 AM »
Adding to the picture-fest. Zumo 590LM. I haven't ride-tested it yet. And yes, it's not rock solid, yes it does vibrate. But will that bother me, we'll see. I have a feeling that I won't care about the vibration. The position of the GPS is so good, I am back to being so aware again that I can live with whatever vibration I will notice in the few seconds that I glance at the GPS.

Windshield in top position

Windshield in middle position - this is my setting. I never change it. In all my TEXs, the screen stays here in this position.

Windshield in lowest position

To be honest, it doesn't block that much of the dash - I wouldn't mind that at all.
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Recent Topics

nonskid