Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Evotech Performance Triumph Tiger 1200 Sat Nav Mount 2018+  (Read 3199 times)

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Re: Evotech Performance Triumph Tiger 1200 Sat Nav Mount 2018+
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2019, 02:38:07 PM »
Got a quick 60 mile ride in yesterday evening to test it, not using the TomTom for directions, just tracking my route.

The positioning just below your sight line is fantastic.

The bracket doesn't seem to transmit any of the engines high frequency vibration like you get in certain rev ranges where the mirrors go a bit fizzy, so that's good as well.

From the amount of city riding I tried, it seems fine because of the low speeds and better roads.But it does suffer from quite a lot of low frequency wobble (just like me :001:) which is exacerbated by speed/wind blast and also poorly maintained roads, I'm not talking about off roading here, just normal narrow country lanes on Dartmoor.
In these circumstances I wasn't able to operate the touch screen reliably due to its movement, e.g to zoom in on the map. I suppose it could be argued that I should really have been stopped to do that though, which isn't very practical if you’re on a higher speed road. The situation was marginally improved by having the windscreen on its lowest setting. Much this is in line with @glenn389 s observations in his earlier post.

With the handlebar mount it was rock steady and I could operate it without issue albeit that I was having to shift my gaze to do it.

Overall I loved the placement with the Evotech mount, so I'll persist with it for the moment but I not sure I want to endure the level of movement for the kind of riding I do in the longer term, however YMMV  :001:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:58:28 PM by jannerman »

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by jannerman [+]
Got a quick 60 mile ride in yesterday evening to test it, not using the TomTom for directions, just tracking my route.

With the handlebar mount it was rock steady and I could operate it without issue albeit that I was having to shift my gaze to do it.

Overall I loved the placement with the Evotech mount, so I'll persist with it for the moment but I not sure I want to endure the level of movement for the kind of riding I do in the longer term, however YMMV  :001:

Thanks for the info. Just what I was wanting to know before I consider buying one.

I've got a spare cowl / cover that fits between the instruments and the screen with a view to making a bracket that fixes onto that. It's quite a decent gauge plastic and has fairly rigid fixing points so I think I might carry on with that plan given your experience so far with the Evotech part. I too ride a lot around the Devon lanes etc so want the sat nav to be as solid as possible.

Looking at Icy's side view photos, I'm aiming for a mounting position somewhere between his mid and lower screen photos. Will post more as & when I get around to doing some metal bashing. I might even look into a sintered nylon 3D printed option.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
I've got a spare cowl / cover that fits between the instruments and the screen with a view to making a bracket that fixes onto that. It's quite a decent gauge plastic and has fairly rigid fixing points so I think I might carry on with that plan given your experience so far with the Evotech part. I too ride a lot around the Devon lanes etc so want the sat nav to be as solid as possible.

Looking at Icy's side view photos, I'm aiming for a mounting position somewhere between his mid and lower screen photos. Will post more as & when I get around to doing some metal bashing. I might even look into a sintered nylon 3D printed option.

I think for me this could be the the best solution, provided the whole structure can be made rigid enough, it would still be above the TFT and the SatNav would remain at the same height and attitude in relation to the rider, irrespective of the windscreen position. There are some attempts by @Budweiserfrogie and others to do similar things here in case you'd missed them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:18:43 PM by jannerman »

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »
Reporting back with vibration: Yes there is vibration. No I don't care, mind - I'm not spending that much time looking at the d@mn thing - but when I glance it's right there; like before. No head movement, just an eye glance. It's perfect. Of course, Garmin Zumo 590LM is exacerbating that vibration with its weight. Seriously, I couldn't care less about the vibration, the placement is perfect!

Thank you @guiri for the thread. Now let me post these Evotech people some praising email, buggers shipped this thing the same day of the order and I got it on the fourth day here in NY :152: :028: :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 12:30:02 PM »
@Icy Just like you I appreciate @guiri s work in creating this thread and similarly Evotech for their prompt service. But surely there’s no need to get cross about a difference of opinion. You like this product...I totally get that. However other opinions are available, I happen to find the sat nav wobbling in my sight line more than a little distracting.

All I’m trying to provide is an alternative perspective so that others can make informed purchasing decisions.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 01:31:53 PM »
Ugh, of course my friend. Nothing I said was in response or in counter to anybody here, lest yourself.

Like you, I am merely giving my extremely personal opinion. I have nothing but respect for your or anybody else's opinions here in this forum - I don't have to agree but I'd try my best to offer nothing less than a handshake and respect (I'm sure I fail - from time to time).

So, I apologize if you thought I was responding to your view or your post - I wasn't.

:821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
Some good reviews & points of view being made here, and good to see everyone playing along nicely!

I'm seriously tempted by the Evotech solution as it looks really well made and the customer service seems spot on. Personally, my old Garmin 550 with its big cradle is a bit of a heavyweight and on my 800 when I had it mounted to the screen brackets the vibes did annoy me. I don't know if the solution that I have in mind will be that much less shaky, but I won't know unless I try.

*Originally Posted by jannerman [+]
I think for me this could be the the best solution, provided the whole structure can be made rigid enough, it would still be above the TFT and the SatNav would remain at the same height and attitude in relation to the rider, irrespective of the windscreen position. There are some attempts by @Budweiserfrogie and others to do similar things here in case you'd missed them.
Yes, thanks Jannerman I had seen Budweiserfrogie's info and that's what gave me the idea. I plan to use the two instrument cover mounting holes in addition to fixing to the plastic itself, hoping that that will increase rigidity.

*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
...Thank you @guiri for the thread...
+1
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 01:58:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
Ugh, of course my friend. Nothing I said was in response or in counter to anybody here, lest yourself.

Like you, I am merely giving my extremely personal opinion. I have nothing but respect for your or anybody else's opinions here in this forum - I don't have to agree but I'd try my best to offer nothing less than a handshake and respect (I'm sure I fail - from time to time).

So, I apologize if you thought I was responding to your view or your post - I wasn't.

:821:

All good  :152: :031:

Offline adey

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: swindon
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »
went out on the bike today after fitting the evotech bracket and whilst I like the position of the sat nav, when making progress and the screen up beyond half way the sat nav was wobbling too much for my liking and I just couldn't live with it after a few miles it was becoming distracting, its a well made product and for some people it will be fine, but having it juddering in my eye line was too much so I am going to return mine.

this guy on facebook has done a mod with a ram ball mount and  I have done the same today and the result is great
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/310410732347515/2337296192992282/?comment_id=2349712635083971&reply_comment_id=2349901385065096&notif_id=1566069099027146&notif_t=group_comment

Online jannerman

• Explorer Member
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2019, 10:50:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by adey [+]
.. this guy on facebook has done a mod with a ram ball mount and  I have done the same today and the result is great
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/310410732347515/2337296192992282/?comment_id=2349712635083971&reply_comment_id=2349901385065096&notif_id=1566069099027146&notif_t=group_comment

Got any pics? sorry, I'm not on that bookface thingy  :156:

Whilst my bike was in having its first service today, I took time out to look at a used Explorer Gen 1 with adjuster knobs on the screen, I attempted to wrestle it around and the thing was rock solid compared to the electric version on the Gen 3. For my purposes I'd rather have that setup cos I just don't feel the need to move the screen from its highest position. I'm even contemplating the value of disconnecting the windscreen motor and bolting up the pivots.

Recent Topics