Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch life  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
Clutch life
« on: August 04, 2019, 06:41:07 AM »
How many miles are you getting on the stock clutch?  I have a 2017 with 30k miles.  Yes, it chatters like most. But when should I start looking at replacing the plates?

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Clutch life
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 07:33:38 AM »
I didn't like the shift on my explorer and figured the clutch might need changing at around 29,000 miles. Big heavy bikes and all that. I bought genuine replacement and the necessary tools and swapped it out. Genuinely, I could not tell the difference in wear between that which I took out and the new one. I still have it in the workshop. It would go back into a bike no problem. Now that's just my experience of course, but unless there is evidence of it slipping I'd say it's probably OK. If you are concerned it's pretty easy to pull the clutch and inspect it without actually replacing it.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:50:18 PM »
I can't think of anyone that has posted here in the past five years having to replace the clutch due to plate wear. Some have had clutch slave units replaced due to leaking, but that is about it (other than judder).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 10:00:41 PM »
My last two Triumphs were still on the original clutch at 79000 and 62500 miles respectively

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 06:14:06 PM »
a lot depends on use - after a fully laden trip two up with three peoples luggage my clutch was still as good as the first mile - i don't do clutchless changes and don't hammer the bike that often officer   
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »
It’s a wet clutch. They tend to last a good long time. Unless you are a terrible clutch user.
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 10:37:16 AM »
I've been not only a terrible clutch user, but even a non clutch upshifter for my last five Triumphs (and my last three Tiger 1200s).
Never experienced any perceptible wear on it. The highest mileage being 85,000 km.

The current gearboxes are another story...

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 07:13:47 PM »
I would be surprised if you will ever need to replace the clutch. I'm on 67k miles with no problems. I used to abuse the clutch on my Daytona 1200s, slipping it to bring it back in back in to the powerband if I dropped the revs too far, and that is fine at 73k miles on my second D1200.

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 11:12:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for the great input.  It’s good to know the clutch should last a long time. 

I did change the clutch fluid and it made a huge difference.  I wasn’t even at the 2 year mark.  My advice is to change it annually.  The old fluid was very dirty. 

Online BigLee

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer naturally!!
  • City / Town: WORKINGTON
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
What difference did it make? I can't remember if mine has ever been changed in 7 years  :156:

Recent Topics

nonskid