Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Misting up headlights  (Read 540 times)

Offline RocketExplorer

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEX XCX
  • City / Town: Sleaford
Misting up headlights
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:31:37 PM »
Hi all,

Had problems for the last couple of months with misting up healights for the last clouple of months.  (Mar 18 reg but 2017 model xcx)
Initially thought it was from washing the bike.

Not been out for 3 weeks and  not washed it for 5 weeks and had misted up lights when I went to get on on the bike today.

Thinking about, it's been like this since TT which was rain , rain and errr more rain. Bike out in for two weeks.

On further examination, I found water in the bottom of the lamp unit.  Gobsmacked. 

Anyone else with this problem.  Had a tiny amount of rain today, nothing to write home about so it must from so I'm presuming it's from before.

Warranty issue? 

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Misting up headlights
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:22:03 AM »
There have been corrosion problems reported, with headlights ceasing to work due to water ingress into connectors. Not a warranty issue.

Here is one topic, found with search:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,7809.msg98555.html#msg98555
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Pauld

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger explorer
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 06:28:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
There have been corrosion problems reported, with headlights ceasing to work due to water ingress into connectors. Not a warranty issue.

Here is one topic, found with search:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,7809.msg98555.html#msg98555

If the bike is under two years then it will be a warranty issue, covered under the manufacturer's warranty period.

Offline RocketExplorer

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 04:16:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I did search for posts but didn't find any so thanks for the link.

Pilot light out, bulb change covers off. Bulbs out.  All wiring is dripping wet. I can see why some people have had rust problems on the light connectors. Can you put silicon grease on the lamp connectors ??

Both bulbs out and nothing a small towel pushed into the bottom of the light unit couldn't sort out.  All water gone.  Very warm atm so it will air dry until tomorrow and be ready for action again.

Is this a sealed unit?  I don't want to force it apart and break it.

Anyone had work done to rectify this problem under warranty?

Going to call the dealer tomorrow.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 05:35:27 PM »
Dialectric grease can be used on connectors.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:46:54 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 05:44:57 PM »
I would have your dealer smear the inside & outside of the electrical connections with a good dialectical grease. I say dealer because even if it's out of the 24 month warrantee period, I would try to get them to fix, repair, or replace any corroded wires or connectors under warranty.. I've ridden mine in heavy downpours and washed it with my own power washer dozens of times without ever getting moisture in the lenses. That said, it is a know issue & has been discussed here at length.  :821:
Jon

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 07:18:13 PM »
I suffered the same. I found in the end that the covers on the backs of the lights wasn't quite seated correctly on one side although it looked like it was to the casual eye. In the end I dried it all out with the bike drier and made sure it was all sealed up tight. Night had a problem since. I did notice it to begin with after swapping to LED lamps. Clearly it wasn't getting warm in there like it did with the incandescent lamps. But as I said, since reseating the covers it's been dry.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 09:17:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
But as I said, since reseating the covers it's been dry.
This is what I would suspect, rather than a warranty issue.

Offline RocketExplorer

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:30 PM »
thanks for the replies. The silicone grease I have is a di-electric.  I'll speak to the dealer first tomorrrow before I do anything else.

Recent Topics