Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alternator Failure. Common problem?  (Read 441 times)

Offline R3Tex

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Houston, TX
Alternator Failure. Common problem?
« on: August 10, 2019, 12:00:08 AM »
I have and have had several Triumphs, Rockets mostly, and they all have their quirks, but I recently had a charging issue on a trip to Mexico. About a week before I left on the trip I started getting a low battery voltage warning light on my 2017 XRT. At the time the bike only had about 9,000 miles on it. I bought the bike in May of 2018 so I thought maybe the battery had sat for a while before I purchased it and replaced it thinking it would fix the problem...and it did...just long enough for me to make it to Monterrey where I once again started getting low battery voltage warning again. The problem was intermittent for the entire trip to Aguascalientes and back to San Antonio, Tx where it stranded me on the side of the road. Called my wife to bring a trailer and took it to the dealer. Dealer replaced the battery and told me it was fixed. Picked up the bike and didn't even make it home before the low voltage light came back on. Took it back to the dealer and now it is supposedly an intermittent problem with the alternator. Fortunately Triumph has stepped up to the plate and is going to replace the alternator even though my warranty expired in May of 2019 so I don't have to pay the $1,000+. My question to the group is this; are these bikes prone to charging system failures? I ride a lot of miles and am planning a pan-american trip from Deadhorse, Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, Argentina so if this is a known problem with these things I need to bite the bullet, get it fixed and then head to my local BMW dealer to see how bad they are going to screw me on a trade in. All input welcome.
2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT
2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2013 HD Ultra Limited Anniversary

Offline KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Re: Alternator Failure. Common problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 01:16:16 AM »
Presumably you searched this forum on the topic?  First I've heard of it here.
I had my first TEx 3 years, had the Tiger now 1 year, 25,000km, never had any such problem.

Until someone finds the actual fault, don't just assume its the alternator.  Your symptoms could also come from something as simple as a broken wire, or faulty connector, or even a loose connector.  These things have been mentioned in the forum.
(I'm assuming you don't have any more info about it than what you posted.)

I have a USB socket/voltmeter that plugs into the front power socket.  Maybe for your peace of mind you should get one of these.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:18:18 AM by kenw »

Online pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 02:35:38 AM »
I'm on my second Tex, first was a 2017, had 0 issues with it, sold it with about 11k miles.  Now on my 2018 and at 18k miles, no charging issues whatsoever.  Just had to have my quick shifter replaced but that's a different story.  Love the bike and would trust it.  Had a friend ride an 800 Tiger from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego with no issues.  No bike's perfect but with the new alternator I think you should be good to go.
BMWs have their quirks too.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:10:44 AM »
Alternator problems are rare across the three generations of Tiger 1200s. A couple of the first generation suffered loose bearings and assembly problems, but it is not common.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 05:29:58 AM »
Friend of mine had a very similar issue on his 2017 XRX at 2000 miles - dealer replaced battery - no change. Checked out the charging system - seemed ok. Tried a few more things with no effect.

Turned out the earthing strap coming off the back of the engine was slighly dirty and loose. They cleaned it and re-tightened it and the issue went away.

So I would suggest your dealer check the engine earth strap.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hawkeye [+]
Friend of mine had a very similar issue on his 2017 XRX at 2000 miles - dealer replaced battery - no change. Checked out the charging system - seemed ok. Tried a few more things with no effect.

Turned out the earthing strap coming off the back of the engine was slighly dirty and loose. They cleaned it and re-tightened it and the issue went away.

So I would suggest your dealer check the engine earth strap.
  :0461: simple stuff first.

Offline R3Tex

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 12:54:55 PM »
Thanks all for the responses. I should have also mentioned that the bike has been at the dealer since I was picked up on the side of the road in the middle of the night. Alternator failure was diagnosed by the techs there. I normally turn all my own wrenches but this seemed different to me and I knew I was right at the end of my warranty so I turned it over to them. If the problem persists I will mention your thoughts to the tech. Finding a loose connection is one thing, however, my overriding concern was with premature failure of parts or systems.
2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT
2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2013 HD Ultra Limited Anniversary

Recent Topics

nonskid